60's Glycine Airman....

I had sold this watch to a collector here on Oahu , Hawaii , and he put some money down on it with the intention of paying off the rest in a short period of time . Unfortunately the buyer became burdened with other financial obligations and after a couple of months I returned his down payment and this baby is all mine again .

From what I have read and using the serial # , it is a 1964 Model with the AS 1700 / 01 movement . I have had the back off and the movement is very clean with no signs of corrosion , scratches , or dirt . There are no markings from watchmakers and there is a Glycine Hallmark on the inner case back .

It is an Automatic with the distinctive internal wire used for the hacking . All functions of the watch work properly and it keeps good time . It has a 24 hour movement instead of the usual 12 hour movement found in most watches . I used to think that the crown had been changed because it did not have the cross hatch design on it , but after some reading I found out that that feature was introduced the following year ,...1965 .  Mine has the red date wheel that was changed to black in the early 60's , but I also read that various configurations come up in regards to dial markings  and other features during this transformation period .

All I have done to it is install a canvas top / cordura underside watch band reminiscent to those sold during that period . I also installed a crystal with the trapezoid magnifier , and repaint the bezel numbers .

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00060.JPG

http://andres55.home.xs4all.nl/frames/airman25years.htm

http://www.glycintennial.com/serial-no.---calibers.html

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 5