When to Service or Regulate

Question

I have an Omega Speedmaster 1861 which is gaining 55-60 seconds per day. How can you tell if the watch needs a service or just regulating? I have checked the watch for magnetism and it is not magnetised. The watch was originally purchased in 2010. I only wear the watch a few times per month.

I have made a short video of the watch on a Timegrapher .

Any suggestions / comments would be most appreciated.

Have you tested with a compass or actually demagnetized?

If the first, please have the watch demagnetize anyway, and check again.

If the second, my opinion is that regulation will be enough.

• Like 1

I would look first to the amplitude. The Omega service spec says the amplitude should be greater than 190deg in the vertical plane 24 hours after a full wind.  However, mine is about 10 months old, and I wound it about 12 hours ago; I just checked it on the timegrapher and the amplitude was 330 degrees, varying by +/-3 in the horizontal plane as yours is shown. In the vertical plane (crown right), this dropped to about 290 degrees, varying by +/- 7

Yours has a lot more variation in the amplitude and timekeeping so I would say it's time for a service.  It will be very difficult to regulate with that kind of variability.

How often you wear the watch is irrelevant. The oils will deteriorate with time regardless of use.  Servicing it now will save you from a bigger bill if you leave it till later.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, StuartBaker104 said:

Yours has a lot more variation in the amplitude and timekeeping so I would say it's time for a service.  It will be very difficult to regulate with that kind of variability.

I do not see a very large variance of amplitude and timekeeping. perhaps a bit more than ideal. but nothing terrible. What would have to be seen is how's behaving in different positions, which he video doesn't show.

I agree with seeing variation in positions to learn more here.

I saw the amplitude vary from 247 to 267 and timekeeping from +55 to +65 - it's not very obvious as the timegrapher averages over quite long periods. I would love to have this performance on some of my vintage watches, but my speedy does much better!

19 minutes ago, StuartBaker104 said:

I saw the amplitude vary from 247 to 267 and timekeeping from +55 to +65 - it's not very obvious as the timegrapher averages over quite long periods.

I'm very familiar with that machine. The measurement interval is 40-50 ticks (never counted exactly) and each of the four interval values is shown white on blue. The figure on the top right is not even really averaged but merely copies the last interval value. If there were instantaneous changes in rate one would see them as pattern "waves". Truly a basic instrument.

Between 5 to 7 years you should have your watch serviced. As far as I'm concerned it depends on the type of work you do, how often you wear your watch, you might be the type of person who removes there watch at work. In other words how long is a piece of string.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Between 5 to 7 years you should have your watch serviced. As far as I'm concerned it depends on the type of work you do, how often you wear your watch, you might be the type of person who removes there watch at work. In other words how long is a piece of string.

What do you mean? Which types of work would change the service interval? As mentioned above, oils dry up any, no matter if the watch is worn or not.

• Like 1

With the types of oils these days, even if you don't wear your watch very often and just give it a wind once a month it will go on for years. If you work in a dirty job the watch is bound to get dirty quicker then if you have an office job. It stands to reason. The same as if you have a round watch case against a square case with two people doing the same job the square watch will get dirty quicker then the round one.

If you work in a dirty job the watch is bound to get dirty quicker then if you have an office job. It stands to reason.

Nowaday most watches ike the OP's one are water resistant 5 bar or more No water or dust can reach the movement.

A lot depends on the quality of the casing.

Oil suffers from air and dirt contamination. A new watch with good seals and new oils will be good for more than 5 years.. probably 10 years no problem. But once its opened and the seals are not changed it goes downhill. 

Also older will wear and oil will not be able to compensate for worn parts. That is why when you send back a watch to Omega and Rolex a lot of parts are replaced even if not much wear is apparent.

On older dress watches where the waterproofing is like my swiss bank account (ie.. non-existent) then you'd be lucky to see two years.

Modern synthetic oils do not really go 'off' like the older types.

Anil

Watch purchased in 2010, service it.

Also older will wear and oil will not be able to compensate for worn parts. That is why when you send back a watch to Omega and Rolex a lot of parts are replaced even if not much wear is apparent.

Or it is because the center gets the parts with a large discount?

Thank-you all for your comments, I'll make another video later today and post showing the watch in different positions. Hopefully it'll show some more information, and aid to the diagnosis. 

Regards

As promised, here is the video showing the watch in different positions on the timegrapher. 

jdm - when i first checked the watch it was showing that it was magnitised (using a compass)  I then de-magnitised and checked again with a compass (which is showing now that it is not magnitised).

I think this debate could run and run, but I think I saw everything from about +50s to +86s (ignoring for a moment the brief excursion to +100.  I wouldn't expect to see more variation than about 10s if this was running properly.

Also, it is hard to pick out the variation on individual beats when the timimg is that far out, but you should expect each beat to lie on nearly a straight line... to me the trace is too wobbly.

If you could find a watchmaker who would attempt to regulate this for you then you should be looking for someone who will pressure test it after resealing. After 5 years I would be surprised if you didn't need to replace the pusher and crown seals, so my guess is that you could be looking at between £50 and £100.

Anyway, as I said you will get many opinions on this one, but mine will be getting a service before it gets that bad.

As promised, here is the video showing the watch in different positions on the timegrapher  

It behaves very good, since you have a timegrapher you can also regulate it yourself (let's remember this is a watch repair forum). All you need is a case opening tool, air blower and silicone grease for the seals.
  • Like 1

Thank you for the comments StuartBaker104I think its worth giving regulating a go first, but i do agree that the watch could do with a service and i will plan one in the not to distant future.

jdm I like your style. I have all the tools and equipment ready. The million dollar question is how do you regulate this movement? Would it be a case of simply turning the screw as per the picture.

Omega Regulate.png

9 hours ago, R1C4 said:

jdm I like your style. I have all the tools and equipment ready. The million dollar question is how do you regulate this movement? Would it be a case of simply turning the screw as per the picture.

Yes, watch the wind and wait 10 - 30 minutes before doing that. The beat error is very small so I would not touch that.  

• Like 1

Right I have been sailing :D .

I have made a few adjustments trying to get the best overall average.

MOV_1411.mp4

I have taken an average of eight readings for each position (letting the machine run for four readings between position changes to settle out) and then calculated the average of the six different positions.

Average Time.jpg

As this is all measured on the bench the real test will be how the watch performs on the wrist. I'll wear the watch for a week and see how it goes - Ill post the results in a weeks time.  

I'm going to calibrate the time with http://time.is/GMT .

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• By Rafael
      Hello,
      Anyone here have an experience with a similar vintage Omega and knows how to remove the movement from the case? Tried rotating the movement (slightly, i'm afraid i'll break something) but with no luck.
      Thanks!

• By Cmmb8519
      Hi all
      It has been a great challenge to find a Omega Case tube for my Seamaster Chronograph Professional case 178.0504 (or 178.0514).
      Omega part number is 090ST1237.
      Any place I can buy an alternative after market to replace the original? any suggestion on where you would go for an Omega like after market case tube?
      It is quite a long tube (5.90mm) threaded in the inside.
      Many thanks
    • By Linz
      Hello all,
      I know it's 'only' an electrical one but to say I'm overjoyed is a bit of an understatement.
      My Grandfather gave me this, his 1982 retirement watch, 20 years ago as an empty case and strap - the innards had apperently been slowly demolished over the years by a leaky battery and where nowhere to be found.
      At the start of the locky-down thing I decided it was time to do a bit of research to see if the parts could be found to rebuild it, bit of a baptism of fire as a total newby. It soon became evident that this search should have been done years ago because Omega restricted parts coupled with a dearth of NOS parts was a real headache! 
      Through all this research I also realised just how rare the case and bracelet style were so persisted for months, getting my claws on some old, rough, nasty and for want of a better word, crap bits and pieces. As we know the circuit and coil are getting really rare but even more rare it seems are the winding pinions and dials for them, and even the crap parts are ludicrously expensive. You know how you get into something, buy bits, realise your up to your neck in it but realise you're to far in it to retreat?
      Suffice to say, I've had so much support from several people in the watchmaker community so with their help and shear dogged, billigerence and blatant stubbornness it is finally running. Still some work to do -  the date needs to start changing at half 11 because it takes two hours to change, the seconds hand needs lining up better with the minute markers and I've toyed with the idea of restoring the dial, with some lacquer and minute markers missing (or maybe not, as it's a sign of its individuality!) 
      Having enjoyed it for a while I'll also take it all apart again and service it, only because of Lawson''s brilliant walk-through on the 1337 movement on this forum. 
      Never really thought of a bi-colour watch like this as my style, but with the blood, sweat, tears and more sweat and tears that has gone into it, I've decided I love it to bits. Thank you all for your never ending inspiration and such generous shared knowledge Mark Lovick and everyone - great bunch of people you lot!

• By Calvin03
      Hello 
      I just bought A Mido watch pre-owned and certified COSC of course it must be a really accurate watch right but at least +/-10second a day worst
      But this watch run fast like 1- 1.5 minutes a day...from the movement blue screws i see that the watch has never being serviced since it first owner,
      I want to ask,does this watch need service or this watch got magnetize? Cause it just run fast 1-2 minutes fast and i see many articles say that magnetize watch can run fast to hours..
      Thanks
    • By mousekar
      Hello All,
      I'm wondering what tool is commonly used to manipulate the regulator arm? I've used everything from tweezers to a plastic stick used to help open up computers. My main issue is that all of the things I've used are risky for slippage and I find it incredibly hard to just nudge a little when you're really trying to dial in the timing. I would think there would be a special tool for this (there's a special tool for EVERYTHING), but I haven't managed to find such a tool if it exists. Today I made my own tool using an old broken spring bar tool that I reshaped that should make life a little easier, but I'm very curious to see what everyone else is using.
      thank you