Jewel Cracked on Mainplate

Can't tell from these images if it's a rubbed in or pressed in jewel - you need to look at the outside where you apply the oil. 

If they are rubbed in, then assuming you have the tools, the hard part will be finding a new jewel. You need to open the setting before removing the old jewel.  I spoke to a local watchmaker about this and his advice was that money was better spent on a donor movement than buying collections of old jewels as most of the useful sizes have been used up.

Well, I too thought they were rubbed jewels and then I thought it must be a view of the flat side of the jewel so not possible to be sure...

If it's rubbed in, what should the other side of the jewel look like so I can have a look and compare. I do have the tool to open the setting g but do not have the tool to close and burnish it closed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2016. 10. 28. at 1:08 AM, jdrichard said:

I do have the tool to open the setting g but do not have the tool to close and burnish it closed!

One can use a hollow stake from the set or grind a hollow punch with the desired pitch and diameter. For the 4 jewels i replaced until now i had to make 2 stakes. Soft steel will do, use oil while opening and closing the setting!

• Like 1

One can use a hollow stake from the set or grind a hollow punch with the desired pitch and diameter. For the 4 jewels i replaced until now i had to make 2 stakes. Soft steel will do, use oil while opening and closing the setting!

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk