New to watches...

WatchMaker

Hello everyone!

The title is quite apt as I haven't worn a watch in some 30 years since I was a child; I always found them a bit uncomfortable.

However I now seem to be making up for lost time and after being bought a nice watch as a present recently and liking wearing it I've been on a bit of a spree ... ably assisted with the bad influence of ebay.

What I've actually found I enjoy doing is buying a movement; dismantling it and reassembling to make it work again ... and then actually making it into a watch by pairing up a case, dial, hands etc. I've made two watches already and am wearing one of those today! Okay these may never be classed as horological masterpieces but as I have a quite full-on day job I've found working on watches in my spare time very therapeutic and satisfying. And it's given me a good excuse to buy some nice tools and stuff too; a chap can never have enough tools and gadgets!

What has boosted my confidence in doing this have been some of Mark's truly excellent videos. The quality of these and his calm soothing voice and dexterity make anything seem possible!

I've now got a reasonable selection of movements, cases and so forth to make up some other 'one-of-a-kind' watches. Just warning everyone as I may amuse you all with my efforts along the way!

• Like 1

Excellent beginning and welcome to our site, watchmaker! Amuse is fine. We banter and HAVE fun too here but never MAKE fun. Learning from one another and enjoying our hobby is a better "plus". So, don't hesitate to interact. You'll find this a nice and knowledgeable place with good people helping one another! Enjoy!

Cheers,

Bob

Hello Watchmaker and welcome.

what we need now is some pics from you and don't be shy as Bob says all postings are welcome and eagerly consumed. Love a couple of pics of your "one of a kind" watches,

Cheers,

Vic

Hello Watchmaker welcome to a great site as Vic says post some pics we like pics and there's nothing wrong with a good Frankenwatch in my opinion if you like it and your proud of your work show it off I can bet you everyone here has one in some form or the other.

Mick