Help with replacing Glass

meep1999

Looks like the original was glued in, usually light glues are used like 'hypo cement' these usually soften up easily enough with some heat, soak the bezel in some reasonably hot water, then use pegwood to clean. I'm presuming it's a standard high dome acrylic, high domes are usually fitted to watches with center seconds. shouldn't be hard to source on any supplier, in the UK the go to is Cousins, in the U.S I believe it is Otto & Frei. (correct me if I'm wrong) You need one that is 0.1 - 0.2mm up from the internal diameter of the bezel,  That is to make a good compression/friction fit, you'll want a crystal lift tool to do that, if you don't have one and dont want to invest, a crystal matching the diameter of the bezel and a thin application of hypo cement (or failing that conventional 2 part epoxy) all around the bezel can substitute. 

Edited by Ishima

I've known these tension ring glasses to break away at the same height of the tension ring. A screwdriver blade or a razor blade eased under the ring should do the trick, providing its not glued in.  For the correct replacement you need the case numbers and contact a good watch parts suppliers. Many on here use this site  https://www.cousinsuk.com/.

"crystal oversize for press fit"  good show. thanks  its very important.  it will increase with larger pocket watches.   the  test (without glue) is "the crystal will not rotate"  with light pressure. if i have to use glue,  3 or 4 dots around the circumferance  is good enough.  that will avoid the next owner from scraping the grove in the bezel.  vinn