Wanted Threads

I note that we're not allowed to post sales ads on the forum which is accepted and understood but are we allowed to post wanted/hard to find parts threads at all. For example I'm struggling to find a mainspring barrel and/or a 16s hairspring without having to buy a watch for parts and because they're American (Waltham/Elgin) they seem to cost more over here than over there.

As old hippy said, if you need to find a part, you can google it or ask in the forum for advise. Someone might have already had some luck finding it and provide who they have contacted. Other than that, you realize this is just an "experience exchange  forum", mostly educational, and not an e-market site so a section of wanted stuff is not a good feature to have. In addition, as per our rules, it will be a violation. That said, a question asking for input about the part you need or a solution for that matter, is perfectly adequate. I hope this is of some help.

Yes. I get the idea of the forum, I've been lurking for a few years. I realise I've not many posts but I find it's sometimes better to read (or watch youtube!) and learn than asking what could be considered the usual newbie questions. That's the main reason I asked the question, I didn't want to just post, I'd rather ask in this instance.

It's just that I tend to stick to pocket watch movements and I never buy them working, I prefer the problem solving and I love the damaskeening on the American Walthams and Elgins. This in itself is okay as some parts like balance staffs are fairly common on Ebay as oppose to trying to get some Thomas Russel or Lancashire Watch Co. parts, however, for example, trying to get hold of something like a mainspring barrel for a Waltham is proving difficult. I've asked on NAWWC and the Americans seem reluctant to post and I don't like buying watches for scrap as I end up trying to fix them too and I've got about 20 awaiting repairs at the minute. The Walthams and American stuff on UK Ebay is usually overpriced too I find and there's not many basket cases around.

Thanks for the replies.

According to my Waltham Serial Number Book, this S/N is a Model 1894, Grade 210, Size 12, 7 jewel movement, is this correct? circa ~1920

I thought I might have a barrel I could give you, but I do not have one of those in my parts movements. I will check a few sites and if I find one, I will private message you and give you a link.