How Do You Fit A Vintage Omega Seamaster Crystal?

Question

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am sure I'll be learning a lot.

I recently purchased an old Omega Seamaster from a well known auction site. I took a bit of a gamble, it looked in a right old state with a cracked crystal, broken bracelet, covered in crud and with a slightly pitted dial.

The reason I purchased it was I have never owned an Omega and always wanted an older style that could be restored. This one looked as if it had never or hardly ever been opened, and thus serviced.

It has a 562 movement housed in a 166.003 case and with a crosshair dial.

In taking the back off, the gasket was an off white colour and as hard as rock, it must have been the original. The movement initially looked to be clean but the rotor does need attention - to be expected I suppose as the watch is from 1966 according to the serial number.

I've removed the old gasket, the easiest way was to pop out the crystal first, just used my thumbs for that, then I warmed up the case in hot water for about ten minutes, this softened the gasket enough to insert an old screwdriver to carefully remove the gasket in sections.

I removed the steel bezel using a razor blade and gently pushing the blade between the bezel and case and using a rotating action, it popped off nicely. Lots of crud under that.

I've given the case an ultrasonic clean and light polish ready to receive a new crystal.

My question is this:

I have sourced from Cousins a new crystal, PZ1543L, for the 166.003 case. Is this to be inserted with a press tool or by using the crystal lift/insert type?

post-236-0-77938700-1402481250_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-07401400-1402481312_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum Systeman.

That will be a nice watch once refurbished. Regarding the crystal, if it has a tension ring inside the perimeter of the lens then it will have to be pressed in, if the crystal is plain and does not have a tension ring use a crystal lift to compress it for fitting.

Thanks Lee, I practiced a few times with a cheapo crystal before finally fitting the Omega genuine one. I wasn't sure if the correct procedure was to fit it without the steel bezel in situ or removed. I took some measurements and decided to fit it with the bezel removed, pressing the bezel in place afterwards.

Because the bezel is slightly larger than the crystal, I think the only purpose it serves on this Seamaster version is to serve as a crystal alignment guide and to protect the crystal edge because of its height.

It would be nice to know which way up the Omega symbol should be. On the PZ5143L one I fitted it was inverted, i.e. date lense at 3pm - Omega logo inverted. Does it matter?

Thanks Lee, I practiced a few times with a cheapo crystal before finally fitting the Omega genuine one. I wasn't sure if the correct procedure was to fit it without the steel bezel in situ or removed. I took some measurements and decided to fit it with the bezel removed, pressing the bezel in place afterwards.

Because the bezel is slightly larger than the crystal, I think the only purpose it serves on this Seamaster version is to serve as a crystal alignment guide and to protect the crystal edge because of its height.

It would be nice to know which way up the Omega symbol should be. On the PZ5143L one I fitted it was inverted, i.e. date lense at 3pm - Omega logo inverted. Does it matter?

By crystal alignment guide I mean if the bezel is in situ before fitting the crystal.

The logo in the crystal could be either way. I have seen all directions. They are random stamped? As long as it is there . BTW that is a very nice looking watch. 

The crystal should,in my opinion, be fitted so that it is in the same orientation as the logo on the dial.

It makes no difference really which way it goes as you only see it if you're looking for it but I can't believe that in the old days a company like Omega would allow watches to go out with their logo upside down.

systeman - you've just done what i've been wanting to do for a while. i want to get an old omega and refurbish it. i love omega watches. it's almost a grail for me.

you've done a real nice job on yours. you should be proud - and you should be wearing it every day. lol.

The crystal should,in my opinion, be fitted so that it is in the same orientation as the logo on the dial.

It makes no difference really which way it goes as you only see it if you're looking for it but I can't believe that in the old days a company like Omega would allow watches to go out with their logo upside down.

Agree. It has to be fitted properly or you might as well forget it. There's a right way and there's a wrong way

• Similar Content

• By HS22SH
      Hi guys,

First proper post on the forum. Thanks again for having me.

Just took receipt of an Omega Chronostop 145.010.   Cracking watch but the hour hand has a lot of crud on it. Just wondering:

1. Is it rust or something else like decayed radium?
      2. Any ideas on how to correct this?   Risk removing the hands and going over it with pegwood or try and track down spare hands (having trouble finding them).

Cheers in Advance,
      C

• By Rafael
      Hello,
      Anyone here have an experience with a similar vintage Omega and knows how to remove the movement from the case? Tried rotating the movement (slightly, i'm afraid i'll break something) but with no luck.
      Thanks!

• By Cmmb8519
      Hi all
      It has been a great challenge to find a Omega Case tube for my Seamaster Chronograph Professional case 178.0504 (or 178.0514).
      Omega part number is 090ST1237.
      Any place I can buy an alternative after market to replace the original? any suggestion on where you would go for an Omega like after market case tube?
      It is quite a long tube (5.90mm) threaded in the inside.
      Many thanks
    • By Linz
      Hello all,
      I know it's 'only' an electrical one but to say I'm overjoyed is a bit of an understatement.
      My Grandfather gave me this, his 1982 retirement watch, 20 years ago as an empty case and strap - the innards had apperently been slowly demolished over the years by a leaky battery and where nowhere to be found.
      At the start of the locky-down thing I decided it was time to do a bit of research to see if the parts could be found to rebuild it, bit of a baptism of fire as a total newby. It soon became evident that this search should have been done years ago because Omega restricted parts coupled with a dearth of NOS parts was a real headache! 
      Through all this research I also realised just how rare the case and bracelet style were so persisted for months, getting my claws on some old, rough, nasty and for want of a better word, crap bits and pieces. As we know the circuit and coil are getting really rare but even more rare it seems are the winding pinions and dials for them, and even the crap parts are ludicrously expensive. You know how you get into something, buy bits, realise your up to your neck in it but realise you're to far in it to retreat?
      Suffice to say, I've had so much support from several people in the watchmaker community so with their help and shear dogged, billigerence and blatant stubbornness it is finally running. Still some work to do -  the date needs to start changing at half 11 because it takes two hours to change, the seconds hand needs lining up better with the minute markers and I've toyed with the idea of restoring the dial, with some lacquer and minute markers missing (or maybe not, as it's a sign of its individuality!) 
      Having enjoyed it for a while I'll also take it all apart again and service it, only because of Lawson''s brilliant walk-through on the 1337 movement on this forum. 
      Never really thought of a bi-colour watch like this as my style, but with the blood, sweat, tears and more sweat and tears that has gone into it, I've decided I love it to bits. Thank you all for your never ending inspiration and such generous shared knowledge Mark Lovick and everyone - great bunch of people you lot!

• By daveincarthage
      Got a ladies Omega De Ville in an auction lot today. My limit for repairs to this point has been installing batteries. The watch runs but runs several hours fast. 
      I know there are a few reasons it could be running fast. I don't have a degausser but suspect it could be magnetized. 
      What are some other things I should consider or questions I should ask if I take it in for repair?
      Also, do you know if there was originally a plastic retaining ring to secure the movement in the case? There was none when I opened the back.

Thanks in advance!