Removing A Crown From Rusty Stem

I need to remove this factory Bulova crown from this rusty stem. I have done a bit of cleaning to the stem and added some oil but I am afraid I am going to shear the stem. Also, I need to replace the crown gasket. Does one order an assortment and if so is there any assortments better than others?

Thanks very much indeed

Todd

post-26-0-12557800-1386767385_thumb.jpg

If you have the model numbers for the case (and possibly the movement), a supplier may be able to locate the correct one via a catalog.  If it is no longer listed in the catalog, measuring the old one and finding a suitable replacement should provide a solution to the problem.  I recently went to replace my dad's Seiko crown gasket and ended up buying a new crown with gasket as the finish on the old crown was sad looking and it was inexpensive anyhow.

On the frozen crown/stem, you could try applying a small amount of penetrating oil and allowing that to sit on the threads for a day or so and then try removal (I haven't done this myself, but as an auto mechanic, this sometimes helps).  

Keep in mind I am new to the watch repair hobby! :)  Good luck!

I just received a watch that has a broken stem due to rust. It is broken at an unfortunate (read: difficult) position for me remove the broken bit.

Do you have any advice on how I can attempt to remove it from the crown?

if it was a fixed crown I would say you could turn down the pipe in a watchmakers lathe just to expose enough to get a grip. But with a screw down crown this is not so simple.

I would suggest sourcing a new crown as I can't see that you will have any grip to screw out the broken piece. And rust remover is going to damage the crown I think.