Gucci watch

U778706

I apologise but I'm here again asking for help/advise.

Its probably obvious that I'm a novice.

Im working on this ladies Gucci watch, the battery was left in the watch and corroded, the movement is damaged I believe beyond repair. I discovered that an alternative movement is a Ronda 751. I have purchased one but now find I can't remove the old movement.

I removed the back ok, removed the stem ok but don't know how to proceed and don't want to damage it.

Any help/ advise gratefully received.

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

To remove the movement you need to decase the watch, that is, remove the dial, hands and movement, complete, from the case. Then the hands need to be removed from the dial/movement, then the dial from the movement.
however you are going to come across other issues, the old ETA stem will not work with the new Ronda Movement.
Also, the dial feet I do not believe will line up with the new Ronda. 
That movement frame is probably going to fall to pieces if you're not careful with it, as I see one piece has already broken off, and I have experienced these things becoming brittle over time. 
oh and one last thing those 'dauphine' style hands, the points near the center of the hand bend up when lifting quite easily sometimes.

Edited by Ishima

I'm not sure, but this seems to be a watch whose movement is removed from the dial side. That involves (as Ishima implied) that first you must gently remove the bezel/crystal assembly from the case.  It may be that the mechanism + dial + hands will come out through the dial side of the case. If so, you can remove hands and dial outside of the case, which is much easier and less hazardous than removing them while they are still in the case.

Then comes the difficult work!

28 minutes ago, swordfish said:

I'm not sure, but this seems to be a watch whose movement is removed from the dial side. That involves (as Ishima implied) that first you must gently remove the bezel/crystal assembly from the case.  It may be that the mechanism + dial + hands will come out through the dial side of the case. If so, you can remove hands and dial outside of the case, which is much easier and less hazardous than removing them while they are still in the case.

Then comes the difficult work!

48 minutes ago, U778706 said:

Thanks for that, I had a feeling it must come out from the front. I tried gently removing the bezel with no joy and as I said I don't want to damage it.

Do you have any advise on equipment/tools to remove it without damage?

Before you try to remove bezel, is it possible the corrosion from batt has 'frozen' movement in case, I've done my share of quartz replacements and even though it's a Gucci, I find it difficult to imagine they'd go that far in mfg to have a front loaded quartz. I could be wrong, I have never seen one. I did quick search on "Gucci watch case" and saw a few examples of opened backs, they all kinda look the same.

The "frame" or movement holder that Ishima (good eye) mentioned, looks broken and should  be replaced, that is what appears to be holding movement in case. I'd try very gently twisting movement or black retaining frame, or even more gently prying up broken black ring just to make sure it's not the corrosion holding up removal, Be mindful of the dial, it is possible to break/scratch and or bend, on another note it's already broken, you can't break it worse, just don't do any more damage.

I'm curious to know what it is now, so take your time and be gentle. If push comes to shove and you can't get is loose or out, I'd remove crystal and see if the case is one piece or two, (meaning bezel is removable), rather than scratching case trying to get bezel off. Let us know what you find.

I have a couple of front loading quartz watches. One is a Mortima that has a raised dome crystal which requires the crystal removed. The other is a Bucherer with a flat crystal, so the bezel complete with crystal needs to be removed.
From your photos it looks like you have a flat crystal. So the movement either comes out through the back and is probably held in place by the damaged movement ring, or the bezel needs to be removed.
If it is the bezel. A thick glove on one hand and a fine blade on bezel joint and try and lever off the bezel.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Looks like the movement comes out the front of the case (measure the dial diameter) You should also look closely to confirm the bezel and Crystal are separate parts of the case, looks like it to me, tap around the bezel with a razor blade and small hammer, it will gradually separate from the case, once you get a reasonable space gently pry bezel off with case knife, be careful and no damage will arise.  Good luck.

Thanks all, tried to gently prise off the bezel, no joy. Don't fancy prising the movement holder up as I can't imagine it's possible without damage.

Think it's one to leave for now and return to later with more experience and confidence.

Thanks again to you all for your advice.

Quick update for all those who offered advice. The watch does open from the front, after much gentle prising etc I discovered that a small screwdriver placed under the bezel at the 3 o'clock position and gently prised releases the bezel.

Thanks again to you all for your help.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:24 PM, WileyDave said:

I find it difficult to imagine they'd go that far in mfg to have a front loaded quartz. I could be wrong, I have never seen one.

I stand corrected, by adding your experience, you helped me, if I ever see one of these, I will remember this!

Hi.  On this model the movement comes out through the front of the case.  Usually the removal of the bezel can be done with a razor blade.   Personally I always use a stanley knife & a gentle tap with  a light hammer.   I still have all my fingers!  The problem can arise when refitting the bezel,  no problem if you have a decent case press.  Oh,  while I remember, the replacement movement will also need new hands as I dont think the ETA hands will fit the ronda also dial spots for fitting the dial.   Good luck.

I stand corrected, by adding your experience, you helped me, if I ever see one of these, I will remember this!

The vast majority of quartz watches movements are removed from the rear. The front loaders I've come across seem to date from around the 1980s. Though I have one modern Rotary, in a three piece case that comes out from the front.
Watch case makers seem to design their cases with every conceivable way of removing the movement. Probably just to cause frustration to the would be Repairer !
Also with the quartz movement there's no reason why it shouldn't be cased in a thin lightweight case, making it a very comfortable watch to wear indeed. Yet modern manufacturers, tend to place the movement in a large case with a depth exceeding 10mm. In the publics belief "The bigger and heavier " the better the quality. Where did that craziness come from ! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Omar,

The movement was an eta 978.002, I replaced it with a Ronda 751. Tha dial feet fitted spot on, I had to buy new hands but the crown tap was the same.

the job is completed now, looking and running well.

Thanks again for all the help.

8 hours ago, digginstony said:

The vast majority of quartz watches movements are removed from the rear. The front loaders I've come across seem to date from around the 1980s. 

Not said. if the dial is wider than the case "opening" then everything has to come out from the front. Typical in fashion watches like this.

• 2 weeks later...