Marie Antoinette's Breguet - BBC4 tonight (6th October)

If you're able to watch BBC4 on UK TV this evening, there's a programme on the history of the Breguet timepiece made for Marie Antoinette - she of eating cake and being guillotined fame. It's presented by Nicholas Parsons who, I hadn't realised, is a keen watch man.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

I'll record that and i hadn't realized Nicholas Parsons was still alive. Takes me back to being a kid Sunday night in front of the b/w telly watching " From Norwich its the SALE OF THE CENTURY " oh happy childhood memories.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cad101 said:

I'll record that and i hadn't realized Nicholas Parsons was still alive. Takes me back to being a kid Sunday night in front of the b/w telly watching " From Norwich its the SALE OF THE CENTURY " oh happy childhood memories.

I wish we here in the US could view this. We only can watch "Trump & Clinton" Propaganda , so we watch nothing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

Unfortunately, I live in the U.S. where people think shows like  "walking dead" and "Empire" are worthy of discussion.

<_<

JC

The walking dead is ok for a little light entertainment and I'm a big fan of special effects monster make-up but Empire I would rather have rather have hot pins inserted under my toe nails I'm not a fan at all.

I'm so happy Hurricane Matthew is coming to Miami! For the next 48 hours while it is still around, we will be either without power or the TV programming will quit talking about Trump Vs Clinton drama to talk about the Hurricane.

I think the elections have eclipsed a little the walking dead and empire...but not the soap operas!!! Not good!

4 minutes ago, Cad101 said:

The walking dead is ok for a little light entertainment and I'm a big fan of special effects monster make-up but Empire I would rather have rather have hot pins inserted under my toe nails I'm not a fan at all.

Yeah you're right on all counts!

1 minute ago, bobm12 said:

I'm so happy the Hurricane Matthew is coming to Miami! For the next 48 hours while it is still around, we will be either without power or the TV programming will quit talking about Trump Vs Clinton drama to talk about the Hurricane.

Bob are you prepared/preparing ?!? 

JC

Hello Will, I won't be able to watch this as I don't have a T V not had one in over 15 years. I will have to look around on some of my booked sites and see. You never know someone on here might record it and put it up on Youtube. It is said she never said Let Them Eat Cake. 

Hello Will, I won't be able to watch this as I don't have a T V not had one in over 15 years. I will have to look around on some of my booked sites and see. You never know someone on here might record it and put it up on Youtube. It is said she never said Let Them Eat Cake. 

Use BBC iPlayer I'm sure it'll be on there.

EDIT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07xtbhr/the-incredible-story-of-marie-antoinettes-watch-with-nicholas-parsons

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I'm sure she never said it either - but it was a good excuse for taking her head off.

I thought, as I watched the programme, that we'd never get to see the watch itself - particularly after the bit that said it had been stolen and irrevocably lost! I would have liked a little more watch data about the thing in the programme and a little less generality, but we have to make do with what we can get, I suppose.

^_^

• Like 1

@WillFly thanks for the heads up. I saw your post too late last night to catch it but have just watched it on the iPlayer.

Like you I would have liked to have seen slightly more actual watch content but in spite of that I did find it a very enjoyable hour viewing. I quite like NP any way and was intrigued to find that he was similarly afflicted, but I did also enjoy the all the background stuff.

I've just watched the program and fair enjoyed it.  I certainly have a greater respect for NP now.  What a privilege to be able to hold the watch and examine it.  At least he saw it running, which was more than Breget did!

Good programme. I didn't realise that Nicholas Parsons is 92!  A bit unsteady on his pins maybe, but razor sharp mind + he doesn't sound any different from when he used to present Sale of the Century. Horology & engineering certainly exercises the mind. 

10 hours ago, Blacklab said:

Good programme. I didn't realise that Nicholas Parsons is 92!  A bit unsteady on his pins maybe, but razor sharp mind + he doesn't sound any different from when he used to present Sale of the Century. Horology & engineering certainly exercises the mind. 

My thought exactly BL.