Timex disassembly help

On a local watchmaker forum one is asking help to disassemble this Timex with m10x movement. 

14563431_548991075290890_6075429312692328567_n.jpg

The autowinder is already removed. The stem can be pulled out after undo that screw next to it. The glass is not in a removable bezel. Please help, how can we remove the movement?

The watch is going a few ticks and then stops. The balance is wobbling so there is a screw on the dial side to decrease endshake. We want to get to that screw.

Thank You!

They're not designed to be serviced. I think the accepted method of 'servicing' is to remove the dial and hands and dunk the movement in cleaning fluid followed by oiling the pivots.

Looks like Timex was ahead of its time, the new swatch auto is similar but I don't think it'll outlast a Timex!

Anil

Having only yesterday serviced a 1975 Cal.32 Timex auto in accordance with Timex's published procedures, including adjusting the rotor bearings by tightening the rivet on my staking set, I can happily report an increase in amplitude of about 100 degrees to just under 200 degrees (it was desperately in need of a clean), and a rate of +/-20sec per day. Not the performance I would expect to see from a fully jewelled Swiss watch, but not too bad at all for a 40 year old pin pallet, 0 jewel budget watch that is still on its original main spring.

Not only were Timex pin pallet movements most definitely meant to be serviced, but the process is both quick and easy, and the results worth while.

:thumbsu:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobm12 said:

Walkthrough, Marc? :D

Sadly Bob on this one the camera was not on the bench.

To be fair though the process is so simple that there isn't really anything to see. That being said, the next Timex I do I will present for your delectation.

• Like 2

Thank you Marc. Much appreciated! I'll be curious to see the next one. Never done a Timex myself!

Pity you didn't have the camera this time, though! Interesting how those rivets are worked out!

Cheers,

Bob

• 3 years later...
On 10/6/2016 at 3:22 PM, oldhippy said:

Years ago I would disassemble Timex watches with a hammer because there **BLEEP** rubbish.

On 10/6/2016 at 3:58 PM, Cad101 said:

I have yet to find a timex watch you can actually service all those riveted plates make it impossible.

One has to try

On 10/6/2016 at 6:32 PM, szbalogh said:

I have found a topic here showing the stripped down movement :) But lacking in the disassembly of the watch. 

Meanwhile the guy could adjust the balance with that screw and now it keeps moving but with terrible low amplitude. 

That's what I am going to do clean the movement 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 1:15 PM, anilv said:

They're not designed to be serviced. I think the accepted method of 'servicing' is to remove the dial and hands and dunk the movement in cleaning fluid followed by oiling the pivots.

Looks like Timex was ahead of its time, the new swatch auto is similar but I don't think it'll outlast a Timex!

Anil

I am going to try and do that.

On 10/9/2016 at 2:09 PM, Marc said:

Having only yesterday serviced a 1975 Cal.32 Timex auto in accordance with Timex's published procedures, including adjusting the rotor bearings by tightening the rivet on my staking set, I can happily report an increase in amplitude of about 100 degrees to just under 200 degrees (it was desperately in need of a clean), and a rate of +/-20sec per day. Not the performance I would expect to see from a fully jewelled Swiss watch, but not too bad at all for a 40 year old pin pallet, 0 jewel budget watch that is still on its original main spring.

Not only were Timex pin pallet movements most definitely meant to be serviced, but the process is both quick and easy, and the results worth while.

:thumbsu:

I agree.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 5:10 AM, szbalogh said:

On a local watchmaker forum one is asking help to disassemble this Timex with m10x movement. 

14563431_548991075290890_6075429312692328567_n.jpg

The autowinder is already removed. The stem can be pulled out after undo that screw next to it. The glass is not in a removable bezel. Please help, how can we remove the movement?

The watch is going a few ticks and then stops. The balance is wobbling so there is a screw on the dial side to decrease endshake. We want to get to that screw.

Thank You!

the inverted cone shape adjusting screw? I  think  the staff is supost to "float a bit".    vin

On 12/29/2019 at 4:22 PM, cadet said:

Hi, can you tell me how to get the movement out of a Timex which is vintage and assembled in Taiwan.

Just wanted to bring your attention to the feature that allows to group answers (in this case to a 3 years old topic) to multiple postings by clicking the plus sign on the bottom left corner of each, and then "Quote" in the pop-up that appears the bottom right. 

i am wearing a timex - as we speak !   that is a " space age timex"  -- never seen one of those.    that floating balance might require a different viscosity of lube oil ?    vin  p.s. --" the model 29 is a mod. 22 with a winder hung on it".   via timex collectors site.

IMG_1053.JPG

Edited by vinn3
new info from web