Paul78

Bergeron Automatic Oilers, yes or no?

Question

Hi all, I'm thinking about investing in the set of automatic oilers available from cousins. They cost about 200 quid with the VAT, that's obviously a lot of money so just wondered if any of you use them and are they worth the money? 

15 answers to this question

If you are servicing movements on a regular basis, then I would highly recommend them, I have automatic Bergeons, and also use manual oilers too, I tend to use the auto oilers on all Swiss movements, and the manual on all other movements.

I got the 1A oiler to use on Seiko diafix jewels. They are a pain to oil manually. Right away I broke the tip of the oiler. Got a new tip, dropped the oiler while replacing the tip, thought for sure I'd broken it again, but no, just bent a bit. Works OK.

Got it adjusted, those diabolical diafixes are now a piece of cake :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

Hi Paul,

I believe automatic oilers are nice to have and for some, when volume is involved, a must. Have in mind that they will not work satisfactory with thick oil or at all with grease for that matter. In a way this is fine since most of the time you will be using 9010 or similar...I suppose.

There is a small learning curve with them: from regulating to the actual way to use them. Nothing major but as everything watchmaking, it requires practice.

Another issue is the cost. Maybe cost and value is not really equivalent here...I find they are too expensive, both to purchase and to repair is anything breaks...think tips...

As for many old school watchmakers, they have always used manual oilers and have kept up pretty well. I remember our OldHippy saying he preferred manual oiling?

All I'm saying here is that automatic oils although useful, sometimes convenient (depending) and fast, may not be exactly what you really NEED but simply one more "pleasure" to play with that might or might not see much use in the end. It just depends of what you do, the volume you have and how practical it will actually be, given the work you do most.

IMHO, if you have the extra bucks, by no means, go ahead and "knock yourself out" as we say, but if you need to "justify" the extra expense -- either to yourself or to the tax/boss/other parties -- then maybe living without them would also be an option.

mmm, maybe for a tax write off would also be a good choice...

I hope this helps decide,

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for your input everyone, as I'm just learning the trade at the moment - I think it's probably best I stick to the manual oilers. Cost isn't an issue, I don't mind spending the money if it can be justified, but it seems you are all in agreement that they are more of a luxury toy rather than a necessity! Unless of course the workload is high. We probably do around 20 - 30 mechanical watches per month at present but the bulk of these go to our trusted repairer that we've used for many years, even before I owned the shop! He's passed retirement age though so I'm preparing myself for the day he decidedes he can no longer do it! 

So for now I think I'll stick to the manuals but get myself a better set of bergeons and new pots to go with them!

thanks all. 

Edited by Paul78

Well, it's been a while since there was any activity in this thread, but I'd just like to add that I saw Mark Lovick use the Auto Oiler 1A - Bergeon 7718-1A (I believe) and was so very impressed that I just had to order one. Waiting for it now...

I find oiling cap jewels a bit of a pain and I often end up redoing it several times before getting that nicely drop-shaped dot of oil covering some 50 to 70 % of the cap jewel surface. There were times when I had to do it 10 times to get it right, taking "forever". My skills have improved but I still find it a pain to get it just right. When Mark does it in the video it looks like "music" :angel:

If anyone here has the 'new' version 1A could I make a request please?

I would like a measurement of the cap diameter where it slots into the body of the oiler and the diameter of the oiler shaft where it clamps into the trigger assembly and the overall length of the oiler shaft please.

The reason being. I bought a second hand one minus the oiler, unfortunately it turned out the cap is cracked also hence both need replacing. They're now 'unavailable' in the UK and when I find them they're stupidly expensive. To the point I might as well buy a whole new 1A oiler.

My idea is to replace with a new version cap and needle if they'll slot in, unfortunately cousins support email service was of no use and either didn't understand what I was asking or uninterested in assisting.

Thanks.

automatic oilers definitely help when it comes to oiling but you can do the same job with regular oilers. its like driving a mercedes instead of a chevy they will both get you where your going but one will be a smoother ride because there is more bells and whistles. Personally I agree with clockboy with only the 1A really being worth it. I like it because it makes servicing quicker, guarantees correct oil amount, and fits perfectly in jewel holes. Not to mention keeping the oil safe from contamination. 

9 hours ago, Watchtime said:

thanks for sharing, very interesting to watch,:Bravo:

This was my very first attempt at recording (iPhone 6s) and editing (VideoPad) a video, so your praise means a lot to me! Thank you! :thumbsu:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mousekar
      Hello All,
      I'm wondering what tool is commonly used to manipulate the regulator arm? I've used everything from tweezers to a plastic stick used to help open up computers. My main issue is that all of the things I've used are risky for slippage and I find it incredibly hard to just nudge a little when you're really trying to dial in the timing. I would think there would be a special tool for this (there's a special tool for EVERYTHING), but I haven't managed to find such a tool if it exists. Today I made my own tool using an old broken spring bar tool that I reshaped that should make life a little easier, but I'm very curious to see what everyone else is using.
      thank you
    • By PaulnKC
      All,
      I am very nearsighted (between -6 and -7 in both eyes). With astigmatism. Now, in my late 50's I also have significant nearsightedness.
      I thought a flip up visor - which I could wear with my glasses would be best. I purchased an OptiVisor with a flip-down loupe. But not happy at all with the visual quality.
      I know you get what you pay for in optics. What is the best type of device for someone with old-bad eyes.
      I have never used a regular loupe - but thinking that may be the way to go. Any of you guys (or gals) have a reccomendation?
      -Paul
    • By rduckwor
      If this is inappropriate, please delete the post.

I have an acquaintance who is closing his shop due to health after 43 years.  He has a large quantity of parts, stems, crowns, crystals and all the paraphernalia one would accumulate after a long period in the business.  He needs to liquidate his shop.  This isn't a "Hey do you have a __ for a __." kind of post.  We're talking serious stuff here.  Mass quantities.   If you need parts, equipment, etc. for your practice, please let me know.  I will pass along his email contact  to you.  Obviously, this is useful primarily only to those in the U.S. due to shipping costs.  But he has a huge amount of useful goods and is 100 miles South of Atlanta.  PM me if you need something.

Thanks,

RMD
    • By BrianG1
      Hi, I have a few bits and pieces, and clocks. And I am very interested in horology tips, conunundrms etc.
    • By marcoskaiser
      Would it be interesting for this forum to set up a list where we could exchange things like parts and tools?  I happen to have duplicate tools from my lot purchases, and feel that those could be better used. No money involved. Would that be feasible?