Caveat emptor.

Recently, I took a chance and purchased a 'non working' Omega 1342 wrist watch off Ebay uk.

When it arrived, I quickly learnt that the battery (388) is no longer available and a 329 battery, along with a separate plastic gromit around it to fill the extra space that the smaller battery doesn't need.

Whilst waiting for those items to arrive, I stripped the watch; cleaned it and re assembled/oiled it, ready for the new battery etc.

With the new battery and gromit fitted, the watch refused to work. Very soon I discovered that the  (Yes, you've guessed it) stepper motor was U/S

It took me a while to source a replacement motor, but I did find one.........in Sweden........and at a very high price.

A week later, it duly arrived and I eagerly installed it. To my dismay..........no pulses to the stepper motor and something that I should have checked before sending off for the new one.

So, it means that the module board is also faulty and, aha, I know where there is one!

See if you can guess where. Yes, that's correct and  10/10, good ol' Sweden..............once again!

Now, the thing is this. With both of these items being faulty, what are the chances that they MUST have both failed at exactly the same moment in time, because once one fails, the other one won't be able to run to its demise! Very strange, that............. spooky!

Or, is it possible that someone put both of those faulty parts in the watch to sell it as 'non working' and auction it off to some mug. (That'll be me!) 

No, people aren't as devious as that............are they? Surely not!

Oh, by the way, there's no strap on this watch either and it needs an Omega 9.3 - 23mm S/S bracelet 1181 215 No 32.

Aha! I know where there is one! 

Wrong! Not in Sweden.............in Bury St Edmonds, UK.

So, all in all, a VERY expensive learning curve. 

As I write, I am waiting for the module to arrive. 

Once everything is in place, I'll report back; with pictures.

If this story has aroused any sympathy within you,  you can always send cash donations to me.................in my padded cell at the local nut house!

Watch this space!

Len.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, digginstony said:

Unfortunately there are dishonest people. I've heard sellers on ebay complaining that their watches have been returned as non working, only to find parts inside the watch have been replaced with broken ones !

Yes, there is very little protection for sellers. For example, if a package is lost or stolen in transit so that is never delivered, Paypal will will side with the buyer. In fact, even that is never spelled clearly, all items paid with PayPal "buy good or services" travel at seller's risk, unless insurance is purchased.And that's why I do not sell on Ebay, and incentive my buyers to use non-reversible payment methods.

Regarding the OP case., sorry but when something is listed "for parts or non working", the buyer takes a gamble in this case you have been unlucky.