just joined Rob from Florida

I am 60 years old, was an apprentice 1978,  i did not go to a formal watch school, was trained by a man who went, he started me off , but showed me the HOW of repairing but not the WHY it works or how,  we did multiple stores work and HIGH volumes, (not a good combination) lots of pressure, i did 6 to 20 cleanings a day , lots of experience in manipulation, not much theory, i was finally put on the rolex and swiss high end bench, i had a vc-10 portescape and a watchmaster mkII , i put 6 rolexs at a time in the watchmaster the vc-10 was for lower line watches. ,  i learned jewelry repair as well and carving and casting,  i started doing the stores jewlery repairs and was well received and took over the 5 stores repair, i WAS BURNT OUT on watch repair, i was young and had made good money but i just couldnt sit at a bench anymore, jewelry was simple and didnt have to RUN!! fast forward to my 50's i had lost all of my accounts the big companies didnt want to pay and refused to pay back bills due,  then one fateful morning i was going to a friends house to broow a tool and was hit from behind on my Harley  i went backwards through the windshield and woke up 3 days later in the hospital, i never saw the guy that hit me, as i was turning left and he tried to pass me as i made the turn, i lost everything moved in with my brother had several hundred thousand dollars in hospital bills,( i love America! no nationalized healthcare) , had to file bankruptcy and couldt move after 2 broken legs , fractured spine  , fingers and everythig else,  A woman noticed me sitting everyday in front of my brothers house first in cast then in a wheel chair,, she would stop by, her husband was dying of heart ailements and strokes, she kept me company and brought me food, and helped me get to the store,her husband passed away and she moved me in with her, and has taken care of me since, 3 eye surgeries and her encouragement have brought me back to the watch bench and i have dicovered i can do it again, i can see good enough and move good enough to sit at the bench, i find it AMAZING the equipment  out there and i love the electronic micro scope soldering stations it helps my  eyes to see, i am going to take the time to LEARN what i missed before and become a better watchmaker , i straightend my first hairspring in 20 years this week, a burgeon recurve, ,  and now to find a computor with youtube to learn with and this website its amazing, before everyone was out for themselves and didnt share knowledge.

Welcome captain yappy

its good to have someone with your experience here, at some time while i was reading your post thought i was watching hollywood movie, you are great writer .

Its marvelous you are back at bench after all that bad things happened to you, looking forward watching your posts.

Wish you the best from now on in your life :)

• Like 1

Welcome Rob! It is a great story and your angel is awesome too! You are the kind of people, kind and helpful, that we like here! Good people! And as you can see, that spirit abounds in our site. So, enjoy and looking forward to more!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. By the way, where in Florida are you? If it is not too much to ask. Don't feel that you have to answer that or any questions at all though. I'm just curious being in Miami, Florida for the moment...and past 20+ years.

• Like 1

Welcome to this  friendly forum. You have certainly been through a hell of a lot. I'm a bit older then you and my eyes aren't to good due to  diabetes. I like to help out here which helps me I'm more a clock person then watches but have a  very good knowledge of both. Looking forward to your input.    

• Like 1

thanks guys i feel welcome, Bob I am in Dade City Florida, 30 ,miles north of the projects called Tampa, where i grew up when it was nice!!  old hippy, i understand the eye business, best to you sir. parmenion31 its funny you say that  my cousin was james mclendon who wrote a few books and the movie "eddie macons run back in the 80's. difference is he was a millionaire but died at 42 of lung cancer.

THanks i see you gibson les paul i have a gibson midtown / p90's , ovations standard balladeer cut away. ibenez artist edition f hole, and of course a stratocaster .. i am an avid closet player, i used to play out by my partner died, all things must pass,, glad to be alive and at the bench!!  and thank you for all the replies WRT !! sitting out here in the cow pasture town with the cows gets lonely unless your into udders.....

• Like 1

Thats a jap Tokia love rock in my profile pic I have too many guitars like watches according to the wife also in the list is a Gibson les Paul a fender Tele a Squire strat with some beefy iron works pickups in it then there's my cort that's always out and at hand for practising not to mention a couple of acoustics one being a 60's harmony probably the nicest acoustic I have.

• Like 1

Best place for You is here! Experienced and noob (like me :) ) watch- and clockmakers sharing knowledge with each other. You can also find high level watchmaking secrets all over the site and on the net. It is worth reading and watching videos, especially Marks videos.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Thats a jap Tokia love rock in my profile pic I have too many guitars like watches according to the wife also in the list is a Gibson les Paul a fender Tele a Squire strat with some beefy iron works pickups in it then there's my cort that's always out and at hand for practising not to mention a couple of acoustics one being a 60's harmony probably the nicest acoustic I have.

forgive me lester paul style body,,LOL