1920's pocket watch help

AP1875

Hi, my friend just dropped round with a pocket watch he wants me to take a look at it. At first I thought he meant it just needed a service, but it is in pretty bad shape so I thought I'd ask here for some advice on how to approach this.

Can anybody identify the model from the pictures? I've looked online and I can see similar watches but not this one. It seems to be some sort of Dennison. I googled the markings A.L.D 267080. Movement says Swiss made 17 jewels and doesn't look too different to a 6497.

Will parts be available for this? Its missing a crystal, minute hand and at first glance you can see the hairspring is damaged

The watch has been passed down through the family. It says on the back 'from mother on his wedding morning August 4th 1924' . It now belongs to his mother who is not too well and would like to get it working to give back to her.

So before I take it apart, I'd just like some advice on how to approach this.

Thanks guys

be82dcd3db308b7dca612616df1cf1f6.jpg

824ea3fb73f0b098bb85c41b86879eb1.jpg

40a8590f8661f4c75859ad3093b5796a.jpg672616c35ac0b00e7a420fd4fff66c5e.jpg

Firstly, 7 jewels not 17! And it looks like at least 2 of them have gone awol, from the balance cock.

It's a 9ct Dennison case, and as often happened in those days, the movement quality is somewhat lower than the case. When buying a watch, you chose the case and probably took the retailers advice on which movement to have fitted.

The hairspring is a bit mangled. I can't see if the stud is still attached or if it has broken off. If the former then with time and a sense of humour you stand a chance of re-shaping it.

There appears to be a movement makers mark next to the winding wheel which I can't read... possibly Buren?

If you can find a calibre number - maybe under the dial, then I would try to track down a spare movement from eBay to use as a donor as you will struggle to track down the jewels.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• @JohnR725 that's very helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to give those instructions and post the pictures.  below is a picture of my staff, which looks identical to the ones you posted.  The approx measurements I got are: .772 on the left part of the staff; .715 on the right side of the hub; the hub is 1.107; and the overall length (minus the broken pivot) is 5.248; which seem to line up with the measurements you posted.  I didn't think to measure the pivot, which I'll do if there's enough of one left on the staff.  Thanks again.
    • Thank you to both of you!  I've been somewhat derailed by this quandary for a couple of days now. I am guessing that the point of the wider tweezers is to support the whole spring at the same time in an effort to prevent it going under tension... I have already discovered the Zen of a clutter free space, and trying to keep my work well away from the edge, however the most terrifying of the flights wasn't so short, I had my work in the middle of the table and nothing else around.  That particular launch was towards me.  I distinctly recall feeling the spring hit my left hand as it escaped.  I only found it by dumb luck, on the floor, between the legs of my chair.  I need to order a pack of replacements just in case.  I think I recall a thread discussing where to find them, and the differences between the clones and the authentic ETA ones, pointing out that they're not interchangeable (the clones being longer IIRC).  Now I just have to find that thread again.  What I haven't mastered is the zen of the search function here.  I'm sure I"ll get that down eventually. So this is similar to, but different from one of the posts I had found in my original searches (or maybe I'm just hallucinating, I can't find the post I thought I remember).  The bits about the corner filled in a gap in what I'd read before.  At least I have a more clear picture in my head about what needs to happen now.  Yes, I've learned about how touchy these springs are.  What I'm not sure I have a good grasp on is the understanding of what causes the spring to flex, other than to say "the slightest little touch"  I think I'm going to try a small bit of Rodico to position the spring next time.
    • I think it's stamped on the inside cover. 309 I think.
    • Hi all, needing a little help. I have an old Casio AQ-321G, but have no idea what battery it takes. I've looked around online, but cannot see anything... I see a 309 stamped on the case back, could this be it....? Can you please help, below are some pictures:
    • The radial teeth are for hte seconds register, and the other (which is simple and doesn' take away significant torque from the train) for the minutes register.