Ok, Come on, Own Up, Who Outbid Me this Morning?

I spotted a brand new ETA 7753 on the bay last week, incorrectly listed as a 7750, I thought, oh, I could grab a bargain here, so place my bid, and I was the only bidder right up till midnight last night, but seeing the auction ended at 5am today, I upped my bid a little, sadly not enough, awoke this morning to find someone beat me by $5 bucks, bagging themselves a brand new ETA 7753 movement for $345 bucks.  Damn it.

So who was it who outbid me, come on, own up ;)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SSTEEL said:

27 jewels, and the complications, and date quickset via pusher @10, safer to change date than a 7750, which if you try and change the date between 10pm and 2am on a 7750 you can easily damage the setting gear.

Doesn't happen with the Chinese! http://watchguy.co.uk/valjoux-7750-terminal-date-change-feature/
And muuuch cheaper too :)

Just for the record it wasn't me :ph34r: but I use Goofbid same as CB and it seems quite successful, especially for my American bids to go to my sons address.  I have called a halt to any further purchases as I have old watches falling out of cupboards here now and I am that busy playing with my Grandaughter and generally enjoying life, food, drink etc. that I have not touched a watch (apart from changing batteries for friends) for ages.

Cheers,

Vic

Keep in mind however that if you're beaten by $5, that is just the minimum bid increase amount, not what the winner had actually bid. You will  never know how much that was. Also consider that an appropriate bids go hand-in-hand with experienced snipe bidders..

22 hours ago, Mark said:

It wasnt me Mickey, But really, you should be using bid sniping software which is no doubt what the winner was using :)

This is the one I use and had a good amount of success with in the past - for £2.50 it was a no-brainer:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/auction-buyer-bidding-snipe/id608292802?mt=12

I will be giving this one a try. However for Mac uses such as myself it is not straight forward in fact 11 steps are needed to make it work on a Mac. I will set it up when time <_<

• Like 1

On 9/27/2016 at 0:08 AM, SSTEEL said:

I spotted a brand new ETA 7753 on the bay last week, incorrectly listed as a 7750, I thought, oh, I could grab a bargain here, so place my bid, and I was the only bidder right up till midnight last night, but seeing the auction ended at 5am today, I upped my bid a little, sadly not enough, awoke this morning to find someone beat me by $5 bucks, bagging themselves a brand new ETA 7753 movement for $345 bucks.  Damn it.

So who was it who outbid me, come on, own up ;)

It wasn't me. but it was probably someone in the U.S. judging by auction ending.

JC

23 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

Will take look at that CB.

The seller has been in touch and said the winning bidder with 0% feedback hasn't paid yet, and if they don't pay by the weekend they will send me a second chance offer, so fingers crossed.

You might want to have a look at these reviews on ebay sniping software and sniping strategies:

http://andrewminalto.com/best-ebay-snipers/ 

https://www.thebalance.com/sniping-on-ebay-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1139904

some that I have spoken to in the IM/IT world in Canada have tried this free service and the reviews aren't bad so far as its an online service so you don't need to have your Mac or PC on when the bidding occurs:

http://www.auctionstealer.ca/home.cfm 

And just for the record, I didn't bid on this either. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, clockboy said:
2 hours ago, MilTimeCan said:

You might want to have a look at these reviews on ebay sniping software and sniping strategies:

http://andrewminalto.com/best-ebay-snipers/ 

https://www.thebalance.com/sniping-on-ebay-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-1139904

some that I have spoken to in the IM/IT world in Canada have tried this free service and the reviews aren't bad so far as its an online service so you don't need to have your Mac or PC on when the bidding occurs:

http://www.auctionstealer.ca/home.cfm 

And just for the record, I didn't bid on this either. 

Is that auction stealer limited to Canada though?

On 9/27/2016 at 8:55 PM, SSTEEL said:

Will take look at that CB.

The seller has been in touch and said the winning bidder with 0% feedback hasn't paid yet, and if they don't pay by the weekend they will send me a second chance offer, so fingers crossed.

Sniping only prevents the let me peek and see who high the highest bidder may have gone (by bidding) as well as reducing the number of bids overall. high number of bidders is like blood in shark infested waters.
If not for the above one could just bid once at their realistic highest bid anytime during the auction.

I would be a bit leery of a second chance offer. I've never accepted one since shill bidding will never be controlled by e-bay. The high bidder bid on two separate items from the same seller and is listed as 85% bidding activity with that seller. That bidder could be an acquaintance of the seller who lives elsewhere and owes him/her a favor.
Study the sales and completed items and you will see a ridiculous number of watches that are sold then relisted...again and again. clearly these were not real bidders.

Lastly, while this wasn't a misspelling that is presently caught through the e-bay algorithm (most of the time). E bay buyers are quite shrewd and would easily have noted the discrepancy with the number of jewels. This shrewdness also becomes quite evident when there is a bargain watch or movement out there that no one is bidding on. When this happens there is usually a red flag  on the item that might be difficult to discern.

Good luck bidding in the minefield known as e-bay.

There are some dodgy deals on eBay for sure. I have been told some get friends or even themselves using a different account to start the bidding to get a item moving in the right direction. 

Ebay is not perfect but it,s the best available. For me I only use Snipper when I am not available for the final minutes of an auction. I only put in a bid that I think is a reasonable price & if I get out bid then whoever out bid me just paid to much. I have noticed in the past some get carried away with the bidding process and finish paying more (tools is a good example) than the new item is anyway. When purchasing a tool I look at the price of a new one first. I also check out the star rating of the seller & check out the history. Be suspicious when the seller has only been trading for a few months but has loads of positive ***** ratings over this period. Again I suspect friends or himself with another account are helping with the rating. 

Be suspicious when the seller has only been trading for a few months but has loads of positive ***** ratings over this period. Again I suspect friends or himself with another account are helping with the rating. 

Yes good rating can be bought that way but it's not cheap at 10% of the rating. One known example is a Japanese scammer that built rating selling cheap cosmetics and then hit the unsuspecting buyers of non-existent Grand Seiko.