Hello From Alaska

Taro

Hello, All,

I have a small watch and clock repair shop in Anchorage, Alaska and am interested in furthering my education though this forum and the wonderful repair videos found here. I will have many questions, some intelligent ones I hope, and I apologise in advance to all. I'm looking forward to getting to know as many of you as I can and sharing in the fellowship.

Hi!

Watch repair in Alaska, the perfect thing to do during the dark days of winter. Do you do anything special with the watches to help them deal with the cold? Different oil, perhaps? Although I guess Anchorage is more temperate than other parts of Alaska :-)

My take on that one dadistic,  is that instead ot 9010, 9014 may be indicated, also 9030 and/or 9040. Other oils normally fluid at normal temperatures will have to be used on slow moving parts instead of the regular ones we are used to like (example) the 9024. Epilame will have to be used for good results whereas we can get away without it at normal temperatures for most oils...

All that subject to the actual range of temperatures the watch will have to be submitted, even for Alaska...Also to consider is, if it is a tourist fixing his/her watch but is going back to warm places it shouldn't be necessary to "winterize" the watch I guess...

In my mind this is all, for most of us, more like splitting hairs since, how often do you submit your watch to -20 back home? (I'm originally from Chicago). In my mind, when the temperature goes that low we are indoors shooting that dart board in the basement-den! :) 

Cheers,

Bob

Since wife and I are skiers, my watches are often exposed to very cold temperatures, either in the Rockies or the North Shore of Lake Superior. We are outside more in the winter that in the summer.

I'm also in Chicago, but the winters here sure ain't what they use to be!