Hi from West Yorkshire

Steve21185

Hello all,

My name's Steve and I've been hanging around this forum for a while now, making the most of the excellent iinformation & advice. I've been trying to repair & service watches for a few months now (with one or two mishaps but not too many disasters!), so I thought it was about time I said hello.

My dad was an amateur watch repairer many years ago, but his eyesight is no longer up to the task. So he gave me his copy of Practical Watch Repairing (1947 ed.) and some old broken movements to practice on, and left me to get on with it. And I'm totally hooked and really enjoying the challenge! I haven't tackled anything very complicated yet, just a few straightforward clean & re-build jobs. I'd like to become more proficient at hairspring repairs/re-shaping, so no doubt I'll be asking for help before too long...!

Hello Steve and welcome,

That book is my favourite as it is the first one I bought when I started tinkering and I am willing to bet that a shedload of the subscribers have a well thumbed copy.  Donald de Carle is still relevant as his work is contemporaneous with the older watches beloved by many. 

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Owdoo lad its nice to have you on board I'm sure you'll smash the hair springs given time you just need a nice strong eyeglass steady hand nicely dressed tweezers and nerves of steel .

Two out of four is about the best I can manage at the moment! :mellow: