Tmi Nh05 Into A Seiko 4205 Advice Please

I am thinking about buying one of the old tatty 4205s on eBay as a project.

I fancy making a khaki green version by changing the hands and dial and spraying the bezel with matt enamel paint so I both learn a bit more and end up with a watch I can wear while gardening.

(I'm a professional gardener).

Having search around the web it would seem that the Time Module (TMI) NH05 movement fits into the 4205 case but as I can only find one (trade) supplier who sells the NHO5 (StarTime Supply in Texas) this might not be viable.

Is there a know option regarding a compatible movement other than the NH05 please?

Bernard

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bern,

Having some issues with a 4205 myself at the moment, If what I'm trying to do don't work I might try the same route as you. I notice Cousins have the NH06 in stock and its a quid cheaper than the NH05, the only difference being the addition of a day wheel - all other measurements etc are the same. Might be worth a try?

Hi guys,

I'm also starting a project with a couple of 4205 watches. (one donor to complete the other). If ordering the NH06, is there a way to source a dial with the enlarged window for both the day and date? I'm actually rebuilding the watch but won't mind modifying a bit.

Jumped and ordered the NH06 from CousinsUK. I guess I'll have now 2 4205 type watches (the medium divers with the crown at 4 and date at 3). Only I would like to know if there is a Seiko equivalent dial that fit those cases with both date and day at 3. I surely hate to cover the day with the old dial!

Hi Bern,

I'm hopping they are the same...considering the movements are interchangeable (including most parts). In any case, let's see what other more experienced members have to say,

Bob

Edited by bobm12
  • Like 1

Haven't seen any 4205's with a day window, you could try a bit of very careful fettling on a scrap or after market dial (cheap ones on fleabay) only problem is the silver print around the window. As for the hands - this being a copy of the 4205 I would assume they stay the same, please let us know if they fit.

I think as the men's Seiko divers continue to reach ever higher prices, attention will turn to the 4205. Its a good movement to hone your skills on due to its small size, price and easily obtainable parts.

• Like 1

Bob,

I don't know if this applies to the NH06 into a 4205 but just something to be aware of.

I am going to try to put a Hattori movement into a non running Seiko 7T62.

From looking at the spec on the Esslinger site I have found that the stem on the Hattori is 10 Tap and the stem fitting for the Seiko crown is 9 TAP.

I will be getting a suitable stem adapter from Cousins and hope the solid rod part of it is small enough to slip through the housing on the case.

Bern

Hi Bern,

I was looking on Esslinger and when searching for 7T62 they come out with YM62. Is that the movement you plan to use? In any case, if the adapter doesn't fit and the crown is not that visible/special you can always fit an aftermarket one with the proper thread....I don't know if the original could be re tapped to .90 which is tap 10...never done it! Looking forward to hear about your results and insights during and at the end of the project!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes YM62 is the option I am going to try.

Yes an aftermarket crown is what I am thinking of if the adapter is too thick.

I haven't any experience of what specifications are when it comes to crowns but lack of knowledge hasn't stopped me so far!

With a bit of help from people here and other forums and a bit of trial/error I seem to muddle through. :)

Tapping something that small isn't an option I would consider at this stage of my learning curve.

As I am at the beginning of a house move (hopefully in the next 2 weeks if the removals company can find us a suitable slot) I will post this up when I have had a shot at it,

Bern

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old post  I know but, I was curious as to whether anyone successfully found and fitted an NH05 or NH06 into a 4205? It would be an amazing mod if it were possible.

It's the same movement. The only difference may be that NH0x main plate doesn't have the side holes threaded to take the ring screws as in the original one, but that doesn't mean one can't tap them or install it anyway.

• 3 years later...
On 3/10/2016 at 1:43 AM, bobm12 said:

Absolutely, just a newer better version. Enjoy the new mod...only takes about 15 min tops to do after the case is refinished and ready.

I have put an NH05 in in my 4205.

BUT...

The stem is not quite long enough. Do they doe longer stems?

i cant see a stem extender working as the crown tube has a grommit/seal internally?

8 minutes ago, clarkeh1968 said:

I have put an NH05 in in my 4205.
BUT...
The stem is not quite long enough. Do they doe longer stems?
i cant see a stem extender working as the crown tube has a grommit/seal internally?

There are on Ebay. There is no gasket inside the tube. it's on the crown.

129740V1.JPG
BTW, we have a section where it's considered polite for new members to introduce themselves even before the question compelled to join.

Edited by jdm

55 minutes ago, jdm said:

There are on Ebay. There is no gasket inside the tube. it's on the crown.

129740V1.JPG
BTW, we have a section where it's considered polite for new members to introduce themselves even before the question compelled to join.

Sorry, thought I had been a member for a while! It signed me in automatically.

Ebay UK or USA?