2824 keyless problems

AP1875

So this morning I serviced a Chinese 2824 I have. I completed it with no issues (or so I thought) and started to give it a good wind to check the power reserve etc when all of a sudden the keyless was just spinning freely when trying to wind.

I put it into the quick date change position and all ok.

I then placed it into the time setting position and it was ok.

So I took the cover off the keyless to check it out. I've found that when I put it into the winding position the sliding pinion is not moving close enough to engage the winding pinion.

I rebuilt it and now it will wind and quick date change but I can't set the time.

The yoke determines the movement of sliding pinion (which is seated correctly in the pinion).

What controls the yokes movement, it's as if it needs to push further?

Any ideas appreciated

cdd8f1d47f779ff6d6c7a9e89facb505.jpg

So as I removed the spring this is what I see, the setting lever has jumped on top of the yoke. Now I don't know if this had happened as I've taken it apart but I think that would explain the reason why I can't set the time as the lever wouldn't be able to push the yoke/sliding pinion all the way back (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Now I just need to work out why this is happening, it should all be held in place.

2c75be7fa8df0e5901246cd74f925028.jpg

Cover plate back on.

As it was in the wind position when it went back together, winding was ok. Moved across to date and time positions all ok. Tried to place back into wind position and the same problem - sliding pinion won't engage the winding pinion.

9108393ec65bf86041976320b5719aa1.jpg

Ok, so when I adjust this screw for the spring that seems to affect whether it will engage wind or time set.

Tighten it right up - no wind function

Loosen it off - no time set position being achieved

It's half way between now and all functions work [emoji848]

Would this suggest the spring is damaged bent or something else to you guys?

(I'm really sorry this isn't all in one post)

b13e59418c3241e4fed1ffc206c60980.jpg

(This is the screw I adjust)

• Like 1

It sounds like you may have over tightened that screw. remember we are working with very small tolerances here have you checked the setting lever spring to see if the plate around the hole has bent or deformed in any way causing it to pinch up to the yoke when tightened.

Look closely at the ends of the bridge screws (which screw in from the dial side) there should be a short one which goes where the yoke/ spring fits. if they're in the wrong place , the longer screw will stick up and interfere with the movement if the yoke.

HTH

Anil

• Like 1

Look closely at the ends of the bridge screws (which screw in from the dial side) there should be a short one which goes where the yoke/ spring fits. if they're in the wrong place , the longer screw will stick up and interfere with the movement if the yoke.

HTH

Anil

This is a very good point, I didn't think of that. From looking at the picture that would be the screw just under the crown wheel. I think I have the correct screw but maybe when I tighten the screw from the spring right down it catches...

29d28e09cce9db78c49e64ac2f7a194a.jpg

No need to hunt for a correct screw, Chances are its been swapped around. Remove them one by one and see if one is shorter than than the others, not only the barrel bridge but also the train bridge and balance cock screws as they're the same type.

rgds

Anil