Nine Days On The "continong" Starting Friday

You'll be pleased to know that you'll be spared my spasms of "watchitis" for a few days - we're off to France on Friday. We're going down to one of our favourite haunts, Arcachon, on the South-West Atlantic coast - wonderful beaches, pine forests, oyster beds, Bordeaux wines, etc. We've always stayed in a hotel on previous visits but, this time, we've rented a large apartment. I never fly - can't stand the boredom of airports - so it's on to Le Shuttle on Friday morning, just about a drive of an hour and a half from our village in Sussex. Then down for an overnight stay by the Loire in the city of Tours to break the journey, which would be about 9 hours in all - and then down to Arcachon. Back the same way.

So, we'll be stocking up on wines before we get back, and we'll stop off at Cité L'Europe in Calais before we take the Shuttle back to Folkestone - to stock up on their huge range of Belgian beers. God bless those Trappist monks!

Edited by WillFly

Great to here from you and glad that you are enjoying yourself!

Cracking pictures Will, the place, food and drink look the business. I'll just have to make do with a meal at the local Indian tonight. This place has definitely been a good bit quieter without you!

Just back after travelling for 2 days (overnight stop at Tours). Fabulous weather and several absolutely wonderful meals. The food pics were taken in Arcachon, where we stayed in an apartment. The boats pic was taken from our table at the Pinasse Café in Cap Ferret - which is across the bay from Arcachon. The big sand dune in the picture is the Dune de Pyla - the largest sand dune in Europe.

The glass of Armagnac I posted was a shot from a bottle distilled in 1965... and that shot cost me €28! Boy, was it worth it! I resisted a shot from a bottle distilled in 1937 - that would have cost me €50...

The glass of Armagnac I posted was a shot from a bottle distilled in 1965... and that shot cost me €28! Boy, was it worth it! I resisted a shot from a bottle distilled in 1937 - that would have cost me €50...

It's good to see you're having a great time Will, you could have bought another watch for the price of that drink!!

It's good to see you're having a great time Will, you could have bought another watch for the price of that drink!!

Heh, heh! I'm expecting one in this morning in the post - sniped it before I went away, won it, and asked the seller to post it to me on Saturday. It's good to feel the old disease coming back again! :) 

Nice to see the holiday pics, looks like you had a nice time. Your addiction is catching Will. I have followed your example and dipped my toe into ebay. I have just recieved a Citizen automatic I got for £16 and quite nice it is and am waiting for a Roamer I paid £9 for. I am looking forward to getting the roamer, I quitel like them and they are not that common.

Ah, back in the groove! :-)

A Roamer, eh? Excellent! I look forward to seeing pics of it. The prices seem to vary a lot on the Bay. I've picked them up - all working and in decent condition - for anything from £20 to £50, so your £19 is par the course. These days I tend to look out for ones with early movements from the '50s or '60s and with nice dials.

Your addiction is catching Will. I have followed your example and dipped my toe into ebay.

Oh dear Carl, not the slippery slope. I had a hell of a job finding the degreaser to get off it, it was good fun while it lasted!