Allow Me To Introduce Myself My Name Is

Jimbayliff

Hi not sure if any one will help as I have got a very old clock here in front of me waiting for your help,know it is for watch lover this place but do not no any one to ask,when I got the clock it did not work or chime,but now I have got it working chiming at correct hour,but I cannot get it to keep good time when I got it working It lost 1.71/2 hours a day but now I put a new spring on the pendulum and oiled the pivot holes now got it down to 25 minutes a day so then turned up the pendulum but now cannot turn the screw any more so now do not no what to do next can any one help me,thank you

Hi not sure if any one will help as I have got a very old clock here in front of me waiting for your help,know it is for watch lover this place but do not no any one to ask,when I got the clock it did not work or chime,but now I have got it working chiming at correct hour,but I cannot get it to keep good time when I got it working It lost 1.71/2 hours a day but now I put a new spring on the pendulum and oiled the pivot holes now got it down to 25 minutes a day so then turned up the pendulum but now cannot turn the screw any more so now do not no what to do next can any one help me,thank you

Hi Jim, if you've replaced the suspension spring check that it's the same length as the original, if it's longer that would do it, otherwise if the pendulum rod is at the end of its adjustment it normally means that the pendulum is too heavy, try changing it for a lighter one, hope this helps, Phil.

• Like 2

,and my name is Christopher thank you.

Hi Christopher, I think he called you Jim as it is Jimbayliff who started this thread ;)

To confirm: If you are starting a new topic then it's best to use the "Start a new topic" button which shows at the top of all the forum sections. I think you mistakingly clicked "Reply to this topic" hence the confusion ;)

Hi Christopher, sorry for the mix up, Smiths used several types of pendulums according to the movement used and the age of the clock but you should be able to modify the one you have, it sounds as if you need to raise the height of the bob, you could either just put some spacers under the knurled nut or cut some more thread onto the rod to give more adjustment, also make sure the clock is ''in beat'', Good luck , Phil. 

Hi Phili,I have got spacers on the bob,if I change it the clock will not keep in beat like you say,as I got now it is keeping perfect beat with no problem,it is just the time keeping as I said I have tried lighter pendalums and it will not go I have tried adjusting it to it but it just with not work,i have tried lighter pendalum,but I have noticed when it is a wormer day it does run faster.thank you again for your help,I have been on this clock for about year I can say Maybe the main spring needs a new one maybe the spring is not on hard so is is slower so needs a new one I understand this is not a safe job to

Hi again,just thought about what you said and I put two spacers on on pendalum,I tried one and it make it much better so then after reading your mail I put a spacer on the offer end to take the middle out and it has had it very mush better,it is still losing about 5mins a day,I thought about adding more spacers,to correct it more,can I ask why it is so much out,can you help on more info abou it

Hi Christopher, the pendulum is probably not the original to the clock so it will be a case of adding more spacers, with trial & error you should be able to get it right, if you back off the knurled nut slightly it will give you some reserve adjustment in case you need it later on for fine tuning, hope this makes sense, Phil.

• 3 weeks later...