Seiko 5216 Regulator Adjustment

SCOTTY

Although I'm still a newbie, I think I know the answer to your question.  I assume that what you're trying to adjust is the rate of the watch, that is, to make it run a little faster or a little slower.  The screw indicated by the yellow arrow has nothing to do with that.  The long arm extending radially from the balance shaft may be gently rotated around the axis of the balance shaft,  Moving it clockwise will make the watch run faster; moving it counterclockwise will make the watch run slower.  The smaller bar running perpendicular to the aforementioned arm should not be manipulated.

8 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Although I'm still a newbie, I think I know the answer to your question.  I assume that what you're trying to adjust is the rate of the watch, that is, to make it run a little faster or a little slower.  The screw indicated by the yellow arrow has nothing to do with that.  The long arm extending radially from the balance shaft may be gently rotated around the axis of the balance shaft,  Moving it clockwise will make the watch run faster; moving it counterclockwise will make the watch run slower.  The smaller bar running perpendicular to the aforementioned arm should not be manipulated.

Thanks for your reply. The + & - near the screw made me wonder. It's got to be for something.

Do you mean the arm with the red arrow ? I think the other one has the stud.

5 hours ago, matabog said:

the red arm is for "rough" adjustement. the yellow screw is for fine adjuatement.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go. Btw, what's the tab on the arm for ? Fine tuning screw, huh ? Interesting & clever.

I've looked everywhere on the web for the tech guide for this caliber with no luck. I think this caliber was upgraded

somewhat for the King Seiko. I could try that.

Thanks again !

the regulator arm holds two regulator pins that hold the hairspring and make the equivalent hairspring longer (for a lower rate, or to make the watch loose time) or shorter (for a higher rate, or to make the watch gain time).

The screw is an excentric one which acts on a lever in a very fine way. That lever moves in its turn the regulator arm, in a very fine way.

34 minutes ago, matabog said:

the regulator arm holds two regulator pins that hold the hairspring and make the equivalent hairspring longer (for a lower rate, or to make the watch loose time) or shorter (for a higher rate, or to make the watch gain time).

The screw is an excentric one which acts on a lever in a very fine way. That lever moves in its turn the regulator arm, in a very fine way.

So am I correct on the fine tuning screw ?  cw = faster & ccw = slower ?

i am not sure, the answer should be yes. But if the previous tinkerer had turned the screw by 180 deg then it's reversed.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. You will turn it both ways many times until you will be satisfied with the result. I recommend using a timegrapher (the cheapest would be wild spectra and tickoprint for android and watch-o-scope or biburo (you'll need an amp for those))

9 minutes ago, matabog said:

i am not sure, the answer should be yes. But if the previous tinkerer had turned the screw by 180 deg then it's reversed.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. You will turn it both ways many times until you will be satisfied with the result. I recommend using a timegrapher (the cheapest would be wild spectra and tickoprint for android and watch-o-scope or biburo (you'll need an amp for those))

Thanks. Just got an Ace Timer Timegrapher last week on Ebay for $149.00 & having a lot of fun with it.

51 minutes ago, ausimax said:

Turn the screw to adjust the timing it is an excentric screw and you will see the levers either side of the screw head move in the + or - direction.

The arm at the red arrow is the stud used to set the beat error.

Thank you for that !