Hello from Texas

BillA

Hello All. .I am from Central Texas and new to this forum..I am a NAWCC member and teach beginner students basic pocket watch repair at our local chapter. I am a hobbiest at best since I have a day job  but want to share my successes and pitfalls. I tell my students where all the good websites to visit.  Mark, your "You Tube Watch Repair Channel" is the greatest !. I always looking forward for your next video to learn and to share. Keep them coming.

• Like 1

Hi dadistic..I am now learning how to get around on this forum . I don't have any killer expensive pocket watches to show..I have purchased and repair common watches for our local chapter students to break . .I been teaching our beginners students mostly retired guys close to ten years and only repair tip ( after acquiring the proper basic tool set ) that I found successful for  first time beginning students is to purchase three cheap running Elgin 16 size 7 jewel example model 291 pocket watches or movements ( Take these watches apart one at a time and clean them and reassemble them. If you forget how the movement go together or you break a pivot you have two others to reinforce your memory & parts. If you get one running, you are successful in learning watch repair. You get two running you are above average and parts to boot. If you get all three running you are great learner go to another make, model and higher 15 jewel watch. For what it is worth.. My two cents   

• Like 1

Hi oldhippy..In the United States there is a Clock and Watch membership organization located in Columbia, Pa. NAWCC stand for National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. There is a couple chapters in Australia.  There are many local chapters which I belong to one in central Texas. We have occasional social and educational get togethers and also Regional and National shows.  There are also National field suitcase class (traveling educational instructor) through the local chapter offered if enough students interested if they are enough interest.  Google NAWCC and visit the website.

Welcome BillA,   I joined the NAWCC message board years ago and found it a great source of info and knowledge on a wide variety of watch subjects and research. For the most part, members are helpful and dedicated collectors/repairers. Although it is not well known in Europe and UK (outside those who are in the trade).

I am glad to see you have chosen to help teach repairing, even at elementary level, there are not many who would choose to take up this "hobby", let alone try to teach it! Hats off to your efforts.:Bravo:

I'm sure you have probably heard of Dueber Hampden, my Great grand-dad worked there until machines and parts were sold to Russians, he did make the trip to Moscow to set up watch factory there, so I guess I could be considered an 'somewhat expert' on Hampdens. My collection is mostly pockets but I have gotten madly involved with wristwatches for the last few years.

You will find the most helpful folks here with the right attitude, a great place to learn!

Dave