Tiny jewel

TimFitz

I'm having trouble installing a roller jewel in a size18 pocket watch, even with a movement this big the jewel in just so tiny I have trouble with it. I have lost three jewels trying to replace it. Even with my magnifier it's so tiny I can't maneuver it around without loosing it. Is there anything I'm missing? 

The roller table is off and in clamped in the tool I'm using good tweezers and read everything I can find about the procedure to no avail, ping there gone!!

I can't even imagine working on wristwatches!!!!

So far I've found handling jewels with tweezers to be a challenge. In fact, I often use a jewel picker-upper -

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/jewel-picker-upper-with-silicone-tips

because pinging jewels is no fun. The other thing that is helping me is to use a softer, less springy brass tweezer. Well dressed, of course. That and I think I'm just gaining a better touch using the tweezers, due to practice, ping, then more practice, then ping, etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, szbalogh said:

To grind my Ellipsenstein shorter I mounted it in a pin wise. First, i have bent a 0.1mm soft copper sheet in half, put the jewel in it, then placed them in the wise and tightened. Then You could just place the table over the jewel or whatsoever.

Snapshot_20160725_1.PNG

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Rodico might help. Are you sure you have the correct shape and size for the hole, some are oval others round.  

Yes ,It's a D shaped hole, I'll try Rodico

6 hours ago, dadistic said:

So far I've found handling jewels with tweezers to be a challenge. In fact, I often use a jewel picker-upper -

because pinging jewels is no fun. The other thing that is helping me is to use a softer, less springy brass tweezer. Well dressed, of course. That and I think I'm just gaining a better touch using the tweezers, due to practice, ping, then more practice, then ping, etc.

Do you use the small, me,or large jewel picker upper? Just purchased a brass tweezer.

21 hours ago, dadistic said:

Would bronze tweezer be ok ?

16 hours ago, TimFitz said:

Do you use the small, me,or large jewel picker upper? Just purchased a brass tweezer.

I have all three picker uppers. Rodico or rub-off or Blu-Tack on a piece of pegwood or a toothpick will do the same job, more or less.  I have both brass and bronze tweezers, at the moment I prefer the brass, the bronze are a bit harder/stiffer and I like a light action. Easier for me to feel how hard I'm holding something.

Preferences may and will vary with the user, phase of the moon, amount of adult beverages consumed the previous evening, amount of coffee consumed this morning, humidity, banging from construction work,   etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dadistic said:

I have all three picker uppers. Rodico or rub-off or Blu-Tack on a piece of pegwood or a toothpick will do the same job, more or less.  I have both brass and bronze tweezers, at the moment I prefer the brass, the bronze are a bit harder/stiffer and I like a light action. Easier for me to feel how hard I'm holding something.

Preferences may and will vary with the user, phase of the moon, amount of adult beverages consumed the previous evening, amount of coffee consumed this morning, humidity, banging from construction work,   etc.

It's the coffee that make my hands unsteady. But I cant function without it , after spending time In the US Navy.

But that is a whole other story.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TimFitz said:

It's the coffee that make my hands unsteady. But I cant function without it , after spending time In the US Navy.

But that is a whole other story.

Yes, coffee is a strong enemy of me as well. If i dont drink then my hands are shaking and i fell asleep. So i drink more and more :)

• Like 1

Here's the method I used. I don't know if others have tried it. I dip my tweezers in acetone (nail polish remover). That leaves a microscopic film of acetone on the tweezers. That's enough to cause the tiny jewel to adhere to the outside of the tweezer. (I don't put the jewel BETWEEN the two blades of the tweezer.) while the stone is adhering to the outside of the tweezers, set the stone into its position. The acetone, meanwhile, is quickly evaporating, so by the time the jewel is in place, its adherence to the tweezer has diminished very much, and the jewel detaches easily from the tweezer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Here's the method I used. I don't know if others have tried it. I dip my tweezers in acetone (nail polish remover). That leaves a microscopic film of acetone on the tweezers. That's enough to cause the tiny jewel to adhere to the outside of the tweezer. (I don't put the jewel BETWEEN the two blades of the tweezer.) while the stone is adhering to the outside of the tweezers, set the stone into its position. The acetone, meanwhile, is quickly evaporating, so by the time the jewel is in place, its adherence to the tweezer has diminished very much, and the jewel detaches easily from the tweezer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good Idea, will give that a try, Thanks