Seiko 7T42 Service Walkthrough

On 6.9.2016 at 1:24 AM, GeorgeClarkson said:

And finally the base plate, naked.

seiko_7t42_003.jpg

Most impressive George!  Its nice to see that all kinds of watch movment are fixable, I have only doing this for some moths. And it gives so mutch inspiration to move on futher....

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi GeorgeClarkson,

Great rebuild story. I came across this searching for help on my fathers 7T42-6AA. The minute hand stopped working and several UK watch repair shops have told him it cannot be repaired. It has some sentimental value to him and I would like to try and get it repaired.

I was wondering if you could advise if there are common/specific issues with this movement that could cause the minute hand issue and if it is possible to repair? Or would I be able to find other 7Txx movements and swap them into his case?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

The problem you have is with this movement many of the parts are plastic so if a pinion or wheel breaks the only coarse of action is to replace the movement. If the hand has just come loose on its pinion it could be re-seated. Perhaps a picture might help.

5 hours ago, RichB said:

Hi GeorgeClarkson,

Great rebuild story. I came across this searching for help on my fathers 7T42-6AA. The minute hand stopped working and several UK watch repair shops have told him it cannot be repaired. It has some sentimental value to him and I would like to try and get it repaired.

I was wondering if you could advise if there are common/specific issues with this movement that could cause the minute hand issue and if it is possible to repair? Or would I be able to find other 7Txx movements and swap them into his case?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Hi Rich, I just received the notification. As clockboy mentioned, these movements are made of mostly plastic parts. A complete swap is, though, not the only solution, also because complete working movements are becoming rarer by the day. That fault you described can be caused by a damaged hour wheel. Replacing the wheel could easily solve the issue, provided you have be the spare to do it. Let me know if I can be of any help, since I do service these watches, and have so some spares left.

4 hours ago, GeorgeClarkson said:

Hi Rich, I just received the notification. As clockboy mentioned, these movements are made of mostly plastic parts. A complete swap is, though, not the only solution, also because complete working movements are becoming rarer by the day. That fault you described can be caused by a damaged hour wheel. Replacing the wheel could easily solve the issue, provided you have be the spare to do it. Let me know if I can be of any help, since I do service these watches, and have so some spares left.

Thanks George, can you point out the hour wheel in one of the photos you’ve posted on this thread? If that is the problem, do you have a spare I could purchase from you? 

It will be about a week before i see my parents and get more info on the issue with the watch.

Thanks,

Rich

2 minutes ago, GarethRogerson said:

Hi my brother has this watch 7T42-6A00 and the circuit needs replacing done anyone have any ideas where we can get one.

Hi Gareth, these movements are not produced anymore, yo your best chance is to search for a spare donor watch on ebay that will not cost an arm and a leg. I do have some spares, but I do not sell them since I use them for the watches I service for my customers, sorry.

• Thanks 1

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I tried that and i thought i had made a decent job of it.  The cooling down period was probably not long enough. It drilled but not that easily. These cheap carbides are ok and they do drill hard steel but they need to run fast and straight, there is no manual hand drilling with them. And still there is the slower process of shaping the piece if its still hard but it is doable by hand . I'm hoping this little mill will template hard steel.
    • Hiya Stephen, well no there isn't anything wrong with a loupe and staking set as such. I'm just looking for a more convenient way to assemble a balance. What i dont like about the staking set is the position your head needs to be in to see whats happening and i know nothing can be done about that, the tool can only be used upright and the frame can be a bit distracting when looking from different angles ( for me anyway because I'm an awkward bugger ) So apart from using a stake kit to fit a staff i always press on the roller and hairspring freehand using a block, and usually with a loupe. So i changed that and tried doing it with a jeweling tool on its side, worked ok using a loupe for magnification better still under a scope . My thoughts are to simplify that further with something i can pick up, look at it easily from all sides and from above and that can fuction like a jeweling tool but more hand holdable without a micrometer . 
    • Using carbon steel from a feeler gauge, I must have got lucky the first time I annealed. The hole drilled just like it was mild steel - it just went straight through. Shaping with a file was also so easy. The next time I used the same set of feeler gauges. Annealed as before ... and broke 2 drills. Couldn't touch it. Took three more attempts at annealing before I could drill a hole. But it still wasn't as soft as the first time. I now have a steel cannister (an old box spanner with the end hammered over) and some activated charcoal for my next attempt at annealing.
    • Hey all, been a while since the last post but i have some update info on drilling hardened steel for setting levers, @mikepilk if you're interested . It's a real shit of a job without the right gear 🤷‍♂️ After annealing my setting lever i did manage to drill 2 holes the first was ok and relatively quick i think i was just lucky and had something right,the second was tough and the other 2 i needed i just gave up. Pivot drills work but not great, this is supposedly after annealing. The steel is softer and shaping files seem to cut better, but hand drilling with the cheap carbide drills just does not work they break and chip like billyoh, unless...............you have the right gear. This is someway of getting the right gear. Proxon micro drill, the runout 1 1/2 from the head i cant see with x20 loupe holding a .4mm carbide bit. Proxon drill press stand makes it very useable. It isn't cheap but it is , its kind of entry level micro drilling and milling but on a fair quality tool. 0.4mm cheap crappy carbide drills eat through hard and tempered setting levers and feeler gauges ( nothing annealed ) at 5000 revs, the lowest the micromot 240v can go. No chipping of the carbide, but there is a technique involved, you cant just push your way through in one go and i think that might be to do with hardening of the steel as the drill end sits burnishing away on the surface of the steel or maybe the bit needs to bite in. The bit has to bite and back off a dozen times to get through but its about 30 seconds to 1 minute depending how brave you are, i drilled dry so a drop of oil could very well improve the situation. Its not the exact setup i was after but i figure i have some multi use here . Proxon do a few bigger more versatile milling machines and Dell put me onto a make that I'm considering but more like next year now. The little setup i have here is a little introduction to milling for me, i think i like it for now.
    • Thanks John, I think that is where the problem started for this watch. It was taken for a battery replacement by the diver (owner) and the technician didn't tighten the crown and the then owner didn't check (assuming done by the battery replacer) and of course the salt water flooded in. It came to me as a parts watch. As part of my watch repair journey, I am excited to see if I can at least get the analogue time function to work again. It would need a factory service if it were to ever go beneath the waves again, as would any dive watch purchased from ebay or etsy etc. rob