Seiko 7T42 Service Walkthrough

I received this really nice Seiko 7T42-6A00 to service and the description was that the timer (yes, this particular 7Txx model has a timer also) was not working. After first inspection, actually I noticed that it had some more issues, among which the quickdate that was not working.

I made a video presentation of this watch: 

I decided to strip down completely the movement since it apparently had never being serviced. A movement swap was just not an option...

Opening the case no sign of damage was visible, although I did notice some very fine white dust, probably some acid liquid that had dried out. Removing the movement from the case, and inspecting it, showed indeed traces of dried up acid:

seiko_7t42_021.jpg

seiko_7t42_007.jpg

seiko_7t42_016.jpg

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

7 hours ago, ro63rto said:

Looking good George.
Don't know many people that would tackle a 7t movement.

Can't wait for the next set.

Thanks ro63rto, I mostly appreciate that. This is the reason I do tackle them: nobody does, they usually swap the movement, but this is not watchmaking at all, only a commercial decision. And honestly, even if these watches are made mostly of plastic, they do have a soul of their own, and it would be a real pity just to have them sitting in a drawer with a leaking battery slowly eating them away.

1 minute ago, rogart63 said:

Great job and and a good looking watch. to bad there is so much plastic? 

What did you do about the missing plastic part?

Does the chronograph movement work without it? 

The 7Txx series of chronographs from Seiko are basically all made 90% plastic, rogart63. As per the missing/broken part, I will replace the entire plate since I have still a couple of 7T32 movements that have identical structure.

As per the chronograph, it does work even with that broken off tip, but the switch lever could be misplaced if you'd were to press the pusher too hard.

• Like 1

Hats off to you sir, WELL DONE! I have two 7T32's on the bench right now, one is complete and running, but no case or brace, the other I got in a pile of misc, thought just in case I needed parts. Those appear to be 'hot' items, since I have not been able to locate a inexpensive case to transplant running mov't to. Anyway if I have problems, your service will help! THANKS!

Dave

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Ladies and gents, I found the most awesome old gold watch chain!  It has spring links!  I am always so careful with my antique pocket watches, and still fear to drop them, even while on a chain. I've re-staffed a number of balance wheels that no doubt suffered a similar fate. But this chain has lessened that fear somewhat.  So my "watch of today" was my beautiful Elgin 339 clipped to this chain.
    • For me, there’s no binary yes/no answer to this. It really is a matter of feel, experience, inspection under magnification, the age of the movement and what a replacement costs vs invested effort to “revive” it that all play a role determining the answer above. For an Omega 56x series reverser wheel you’ll spend more time trying to revive a reverser (which, by the way is also much more serviceable, but also harder and more expensive to find a replacement for) than you would an a Sellita SW200 where replacements are cheap and easy to find.
    • That's what I did after my Pearl machine stopped working. I've run about 5 watches through it so far and get results as expected. One interesting note is that their customer service says the machine comes with a 2 year warranty but that is not indicated on the website and when asked via email they are unable to provide a copy of the warranty, which I believe runs counter to US federal law 🤷‍♂️  Luckily for me the service center they use for repairs is local to me so if I ever do need to have it serviced I won't have to ship it in its HUGE box.
    • @JohnR725I live in a “3rd world” country (South Africa) and even here you can’t make a middle class living charging $120 to service a watch. I make many times that spending that same amount of time in my day job. But quote the average someone $200 to service their inherited vintage Omega (that stopped working 20 years ago) and you’re told you’re effing mad. This is why watchmaking is dead as a profession in modern times; everyone wants that cool mechanical watch, no one considers what it costs to maintain it. A wrist watch is no longer an essential tool, it’s novelty jewellery. So I do it as a hobby, a make a few videos and I fix broken things. If this hobby can make a little money to at least contribute to its vast expenses then that’s a bonus. I have many other hobbies that are just money pits, so there’s at least that. Speaking of making videos: there’s a lot of criticism being levelled at YouTube watchmakers, either because they don’t show enough detail, or that they talk too much, or that they’re hacks, or whatever other negative thing you can imagine. But these YouTube watchmakers have done more to expose watchmaking to the average Joe than what any of the professional watchmaking institutions have ever done. Professional watchmakers scoff at these “hacks” in their comment sections but fail to see how these YouTubers create interest in the average Joe and turn them into enthusiasts. Anyway, enough rambling from me…
    • This Suizo 1950s AS1361N 10 micron gold plated Automatic got an outing today. It is a gents watch, but is quite a diminutive piece (as was typical for the time). It is also very well engineered. The plating has a few wear marks, but other than that it is looking pretty good for its age. There is one minor discrepancy though. The dial states 25 jewels but the rotor says 21 jewels. Oh well, I guess nobody's perfect. It got a new crystal as the old one had resisted my best polishing efforts, but still wasn't up to scratch. I also treated it to a period correct 17mm dark green leather band from a job lot of 1950s or 1960s straps I picket up recently.  Before you ask, no, I am not responsible for all of those scratches on the rotor, they were there long before I got my hands on it. Suizo is almost certainly a Achille Hirsch brand.