Diy Watch Hands

I'm having a go at putting together my own watch. I brought a case of Ebay, movement, strap etc & have almost finished a dial (once I can get to grips with my dial feet solderer!) I'm now turning my attention to making some hands & so to my question!

I'm thinking of making them out of stainless steel, but will this be to hard to go over the pinions? would I be better of using copper & getting it plated?

Lee

Since this will be my first pair of hands & I want them silver in colour & ideally matt, Stainless is ideal. But it crossed my mind all the hands I've swapped over, over the years are usually a plated softer metal & I'm not sure as to how successful fitting stainless would be.

Hi Lee, you could make the hands from anything you like provided the holes are broached to the correct dimensions to give that nice push fit. As you have been working with watches for some time now you will know when you have attained the correct hole diameter just by the feel.

mwilkes I made this prototype hand out of aluminium this morning, its a bit soft but once in the case would be ideal I think. I need to get some finer files for the real ones, I couldn't get a sharp edge (any suggestions) but I'm pretty pleased with the design, its inspired by the Rolex dial in the Bloodhound SSC land speed record car.

post-138-0-02700500-1401527578_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

mwilkes I made this prototype hand out of aluminium this morning, its a bit soft but once in the case would be ideal I think. I need to get some finer files for the real ones, I couldn't get a sharp edge (any suggestions) but I'm pretty pleased with the design, its inspired by the Rolex dial in the Bloodhound SSC land speed record car.

attachicon.gifDSCI0004.JPG

I use the diamond files from Eternal Tools as they tend not to drag. Give Lucy a shout at http://www.eternaltools.com/ she will help you.

• Like 1

wow thats a fabulous link. I brought a few bits & pieces & have done another hand in alloy to get the proportions rights (and some practice) but I'm a long way off producing something I'd be happy to put on my watch so far. I have an engraving machine that I'm using to cut the ruff hand out off which saves an immense amount of time, but once you get up close & personal under the eye glass its a whole new ball game!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

finally had a bit of time to cut out some stainless steel. needs a lot of work thinning it down & cleaning it up, but its a start! I ordered some diamond files, degussit & some other bits & pieces now to see how patient I am!

post-138-0-99804100-1403104816_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-63639000-1403104884_thumb.jpg

Lets just hope I don't get a "do you know where all the knives have gone" comment at some point!

Lee

• Like 1