Upcoming Projects...

DJW

I purchased a couple of movements that I found interesting to use in future builds.

I've always wanted to build a watch with a Tourbillon movement! And now with these little Chinese made tourbillons getting better and better (and more reliable), I could not pass up the opportunity to try one!

This is a very nice looking Skeleton movement that features a 1 minute "Flying" tourbillon escapement. It seems to be well made and for just $329US I think it's pretty good Value!

post-90-0-08846000-1401293727_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-20328400-1401293728_thumb.jpg

The second movement is just plain cool with the dual escapements. Only one actually regulates the watch's timing while the other just scavenges power of the mainspring while the watch is running. I believe it's modeled to look like a antique Breguet pocket watch movement. Kind of cool for just $38US!

post-90-0-18894400-1401293726_thumb.jpg

Hi Don, I look forward to seeing the finished items, particularly the Tourbillon.

The Chinese Tourbillon movements were good enough for the British Horological Institute to commission them to commemorate their 150 year anniversary. That must be a good recommendation.

I purchased a version of that watch about three years ago and I'm well pleased with it.

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

Hi Don, I look forward to seeing the finished items, particularly the Tourbillon.

The Chinese Tourbillon movements were good enough for the British Horological Institute to commission them to commemorate their 150 year anniversary. That must be a good recommendation.

I purchased a version of that watch about three years ago and I'm well pleased with it.

Was that the BHI 150 - available initially to members only? I was quite surprised to read at the time that they'd gone for a Chinese Tourbillon. Was there also not a second issue of this a little bit later?

Hi Will, from what I remember there were two costs, one for members and one for non-members. The one I purchased was identical but without inscription. It really is well made and keeps such good time it could be certified as a chronometer.

Thats a very nice Tourbillon mov. you have there and should make a really special sort of watch,  can't wait to see the finished article.  The Chinese are on a learning curve at the moment and seeing that they are very hard working people they will eventually be No.1 in most things.

It's nice to see the mechanical watch still going strong after 400 odd years,  not many things last that long.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of Skeleton movements myself, but this movement was the best option since the manufacturer does not supply dials. So, I figured that I could case the movement easier with out a dial.....

Well, I'm making a dial anyway! At least an outer dial ring to adapt it to one of my cases. Even though this movement has mounting points for dial feet, I'm making the dial to be "Friction Fit". This way, I can have almost all of the movement visible and not hiding behind the dial.

The movement is extremely thick and has the stem is located well towards the bottom of the movement. This is an awkward location for the stem with regards to mounting it in a unrelated case. I have to use a oversized case with enough room to adjust the location of the movement so that the stem lines up with the existing crown. Then I have to "relieve" the lip that the dial sits against to allow for the movement to be positioned in the exact location for the stem to line up with the crown.

It's fiddly work but I actually like this sort of thing!

I'll post some pictures as I progress....

Update...

I finished milling the dial and modifying the case to accept the movement....

Since the movement is Silver and the case is polished, I'm thinking of having the skeleton dial painted a flat gray or silver and have some fancy Arabic numerals printed in Navy/Royal Blue to match the Blue Breguet hands I plan on using. 

I took a pic through the stem tube to show that the stem will now line up with the crown. I had to turn the dial seat down about 1mm so that the new movement would line up!

I still have to turn a ring for the back of the watch because the tourbillon movement is much smaller than the ETA 6497/98 movement that this case was intended for...

post-90-0-65061400-1401473463_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-35012100-1401473465_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-06408300-1401473467_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-78807100-1401473468_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-13934700-1401473470_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-44396600-1401473471_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-48625000-1401473472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I can see that chapter ring in white (porcelain?) with some nice Arabic numerals.  I have increased my estimate for the finished watch to US$2,350 and at that they are getting a bargain.

Roger, have you ever thought of taking up a job in watch sales?

• Like 1

Wow! Beautiful. May I ask where you found these movements? I like both but would love to play around with the Breguet in particular. I can imagine all sorts of dials.

Thank you,

Alec

Alec,

you can find these at www.ptsresources.com

The minimum order quantity for the tourbillon movements is only 1 piece. But, all other movements require 100 pcs minimum when ordering. I was able to buy just one of each as "Samples". They charge $30 sample fee for anything other than a minimum quantity order. Plus, it cost me $40 to wire money to their account for these two movements. FYI, They only accept wire transfers.

So, if you order a Sample of the "Breguet" style movement, it would cost you roughly $108US for that $38 movement ($40+$30+$38).

Taking it out for a test drive! I kind of like the dial the way it is! I was thinking about drilling shallow circles at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 position and smaller circles at the other hour marks, then filling them with color, black or blue.

post-90-0-38196700-1401741705_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJW
  • Like 2

I think you have found the holy grail with that mov. case, hands and your dial ring, so many ways it could be finished. You are probably aware of a pantograph engraving machine, if not have a look on YouTube, it really opens up more possibilities for finishing the chapter ring.

Whatever you do, do not sell this watch too cheap, common chinese tourbillons fetch around US$ 2,000 and people with money are willing to pay for exclusivity and they do not come much more exclusive than yours. I would say it's your best watch so far.  :thumbsu:

Whatever you put on the chapter ring - numbers, markers, quarter markers, etc. - I think a minimalist approach would be good, so that the simplicity contrasts with the complexity of the movement, and vice versa. Lovely job.