This Forum

I used to belong to another forum that initially was a platform for a free exchange of ideas. Unfortunately the forum was hijacked by two horological know-it-all's who were legends in their own minds. If somebody would post an article that had information they never thought of, they would post a response stating that "they were doing it incorrectly" or "they gave incorrect information". Often their post would start out with the phrase "DON'T YOU EVER". The owner of the forum was so impressed with their credentials that he made both of them moderators. Unfortunately for that forum the impressive credentials these two had did not manifest into evidence of either of them having any real horological knowledge. Neither of them ever posted anything of great value to the rest of us who wanted to learn. The forum members who did contribute ended up either leaving  or no longer passed tips and discoveries on to the other members. 

From what I have seen so far, this forum is set up in a much nicer member friendly way. I am glad to have found it and hope it continues to remain that way.

david

• Like 6

I used to belong to another forum that initially was a platform for a free exchange of ideas. Unfortunately the forum was hijacked by two horological know-it-all's who were legends in their own minds.

My same experience exactly. Totally different environment here. If you were to name the two hot air ballons I don't think that would be wrong or just PM me for my curiosity.

Curious here too David.  Sounds exactly like the forum I left before finding WRT.  jdm, like your name of hot air balloons...I called em "ogres" in my parting letter to management.  Feel very lucky to have the resource of all this shared knowledge here.  

1 hour ago, jdm said:

If you were to name the two hot air ballons I don't think that would be wrong or just PM me for my curiosity.

Go to PM if you must discuss this sort of thing.

Thanks, Geo!

Don't worry George, forum hot air ballons aren't really in a position to sue for libel... I call them by that name all the time in the respective forums. But you are right, no need to bring that shame here.

Edited by jdm

1 hour ago, david said:

From what I have seen so far, this forum is set up in a much nicer member friendly way. I am glad to have found it and hope it continues to remain that way.

David, we always strive to ensure that this forum remains open and friendly.

• Like 2

Sometimes I am quite happy that I know ba (or not a lot) that I would ever take a firm opinionated stance on. I think this forum is excellent from so many different perspectives not the least being humour. No room for stuffed shirts here, however looking at my current shirt straining against my breakfast I think I shall now vanish from this thread.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 3

The worst are the Rolex fanatics..any questions about Rolex from an amateur hobbyist and they are advised to take it to an AD...While they are quality products and regulation is not easy...they are quite simple and well within the scope of an experienced hobbyist to take apart and put together.

Anil

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, anilv said:

The worst are the Rolex fanatics..any questions about Rolex from an amateur hobbyist and they are advised to take it to an AD...While they are quality products and regulation is not easy...they are quite simple and well within the scope of an experienced hobbyist to take apart and put together.

Anil

The thing with Rolex watches is if anything goes wrong and an experienced hobbyist as you like to call them breaks a part it is going to be extremely expensive for that person to put the watch right, in some cases you won't be able to replace the part. While a qualified watchmaker/ repairer working for a living should have  adequate insurance coverage that covers such mishaps. This goes for any expensive watch.

The thing with Rolex watches is if anything goes wrong and an experienced hobbyist as you like to call them breaks a part it is going to be extremely expensive for that person to put the watch right, in some cases you won't be able to replace the part. While a qualified watchmaker/ repairer working for a living should have  adequate insurance coverage that covers such mishaps. This goes for any expensive watch.

I don’t think that Rolex are any different from any other watch. Parts are restricted for so many brands but many parts are available, beside is not like one needs parts for any work. We have here some good examples of hobbyists doing successfully with them. That is exactly the spirit of the forum, enabling skills rather than chanting the mantra of "bring it to an AD".

I know you used Rolex but that is the one I would have picked as back in my days Rolex where the only one that started to restrict supplying parts. I can understand today parts becoming obsolete but what other brands have become restricted.  I need to catch up with modern watchmaking. 

27 minutes ago, jdm said:

I don’t think that Rolex are any different from any other watch. Parts are restricted for so many brands but many parts are available, beside is not like one needs parts for any work. We have here some good examples of hobbyists doing successfully with them. That is exactly the spirit of the forum, enabling skills rather than chanting the mantra of "bring it to an AD".

I disagree with the statement Rolex are no different to any other watch. Having serviced my own Rolex I soon become aware why they are the price they are. However the restriction of parts would make me very nervous servicing a Rolex that was not my own. Unfortunately the same now applies to most swiss watches. I recently serviced/fixed a Breitling that needed a new part fortunately the part was still available but in a year or two this will not be the case.

All comments above re Rolex are very valid but it does little for the hobby and leads to the thinking that Rolex are waayyyy up there in the horological hierarchy...and the price goes up exponentially.

I respect Rolex for the quality of their movements but there price they command nowadays is unrealistic. I was working on a Longines cal.990 recently and it was such a nicely crafted movement....probably not as robust as a Rolex but in my opinion a very nice movement with some advanced features that has been grossly underated.

I have another one (Longines 990) waiting its turn and will post some pictures up here when I get around to it.

Anil

I agree Rolex prices are way to high. For those who want a real quality watch at a reasonable price look at the new Baume & Mercier watches & many jewellers have them now on offer. My brother recently purchased one at a very reasonable price & I am very impressed by it,s quality..