Bench Case Back Opener

Vich

I just looked at Mark's case back opening video and it made me think about a watch I was given by a relative who advised me it had stopped working and that they just had a battery replaced and the person doing the work had a problem putting the back on again and used a press or device like pliers but apparently worked up quite a sweat doing in.  It had  since been stopping and starting randomly.  5 min job I thought - battery ?.

When I looked at it the little lip to get the knife under had been bent right back into the casing leaving nothing to gain purchase on.  I think he had used the wrong dsort of die ie not a flat one. It is gold plated and I spent an age with various blades trying to widen the gap without marking it and eventually succeeded after much profanity then found the wrong sized battery (too thin) floating around in the cell holder and on checking the battery was live but not making contact.

Mark posted the pic

opener2.jpg

And I saw this on the Bay:

opener.jpg

I know George has something like this in his kit - this one is £20.00 free post from Red Rooster though there are probably other suppliers it seems like it may have been useful with that watch I mentioned.

Question, has anyone got one and would they give it a thumbs up ?

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Yes Vic, I got one although its provenance I can not assert at the moment...it is probably the branded, read expensive, type since I'm a magician with my money...I got this special disappearing act that empties my wallet before you can blink an eye! :)

Honestly, I rarely use it but I've had occasions where nothing else works and so I go to the big guns...this is one of those and has never let me down. I recommend it if the quality is there.

Cheers,

Bob

Ok chaps, seeing its you three I am obliged to buy one, I will explain it to my lovely wife, blame you all, after it arrives, especially George who talked me into buying the k&d case back opener and staking set so he has got form. I get my state pension this month so it can be my treat.

Seriously though thanks for the input, Bobs probably OK as he is harder to get at (;-))

Cheers,

Vic

Why this tool would open something that a regular case knife wouldn't? From what i understand is made to prevent injuries a facilitating work for untrained people. The blade shape is the same as you can make to any knife yourself.

That being said I had major trouble with a snap back case once. In hindsight I think I wasn't using a sharp enough blade and this tool would have helped keeping the case in place.

Hi JD,

I did actually succeed using blades but it was difficult.  I would not have been so bothered if it had been steel but with it being plated It was a bit testing.  I have seven different openers including blades and my Swiss Army knives come into play as well sometimes but now I will have this tool in my "armoury" for a future occasion and at the price it does not break the bank.  I will look at the blades supplied and may modify them and spares are available if I want to customise.  Holding the case steady in the jig will be a bonus.  Time will tell.

Cheers,

Vic

Yes, the holding fixture is what make this tool handy, also the blade can be customized as you said Vic. Good quality ones have a durable blade though. In my mind, if there is a cleaner, easier way of doing things, -- specially when you also get a "speed" bonus and a "don't worry" bonus -- I'd go for it. Some cases don't have a lip to insert the knife and some cases are too hard -- read rust sealed or something -- opening with a regular knife poses the danger to the hand holding the watch or the watch finish itself. Since my way of working is to never change the watch in anyway unless it is for better, to me this tool is sometimes a big help.

22 hours ago, Vich said:

especially George who talked me into buying the k&d case back opener

That would be the L.E.M. case back opener!  I hope the Newcy Browns arn't starting to effect your grey matter. ;)

• Like 1

It is a tad worrying when George remembers precisely what tools I have got better than I do.  But yet again he is correct My opener is a LEM slightly off topic as it is for screw on backs.  However, it is one of the best tools I have come across

LEM.jpg

The doorbell just rang and there was Gavin my postie with the box from Red Rooster with my snap back case opener.  First inspection is good, quite a clean moulding and the unit is a surprisingly heavy high impact type plastic and it looks remarkably similar to the A*F one sold by cousins at £53.95, I also note that spare blades from cousins for the A&F are £6.75 and next time I get stuff from Cousins which I tend to do quite frequently, I will get the A*F blade to compare it with the ones on my unit.  The blades I got will need slight dressing but thats ok.  It comes with one spare blade and both are two sided.  One is 24 mm and the other is 33 mm meaning one protrudes by 8mm and the other by 11mm so that should meet most needs.  The green insert is removable and is used for smaller watches.  All in all it looks ok at that price.  I take Vinns point about the plastic and indeed the Indian product sold by Cousins for £14.50 has a moulding line clearly visible through the midway mark of the blade holder and the plastic looks , well, a tad recycled unlike the one I have obtained..  However, that said,it may work perfectly but for a few quid extra I think I am well happy with my purchase.  There are no doubt metal bodied units of all shapes and sizes out there. The brand is "Liberty" and I know there is a cheap watch oil out there with that name but I don't know if it is related.

Cheers,

Vic

Just now, digginstony said:

As Horologent says, it's a useful tool where the notch is at the 9 position. Problem is most modern watches I've seen tend to have the notch in line with one of the lugs which would I suspect render this type of opener useless.

I think the idea is that is that with the strap removed the case presses on the green insert or the black part, depending on the watch size. 

I think the idea is that is that with the strap removed the case presses on the green insert or the black part, depending on the watch size. 

To me, the case face down, is placed on the black Base. The watch crown fits into the recess of the green part. The watch is screwed into position to fit the blade. The case back is either freed in this process or pivoted upwards by applying pressure to the handle where the blade is situated. Where the notch is not situated at the 9 position I really can't see this type of opener of being much use. I have a Horotec opener which isn't dissimilar but without the pivot facility but blades can be fitted to either opposing sides of the case which makes it excellent as a bezel remover but still has limitations as a case back remover.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

To me, the case face down, is placed on the black Base. The watch crown fits into the recess of the green part. The watch is screwed into position to fit the blade. The case back is either freed in this process or pivoted upwards by applying pressure to the handle where the blade is situated. Where the notch is not situated at the 9 position I really can't see this type of opener of being much use.

I think that it the notch is at 6 or 12 you have to remove the strap one side, rotate the case 90¤ and fit it with the lugs straddling the green or black protuding part. As long reaching with the blade is not impeded by the lugs.

• Like 1

Hello after reading the posting from Digginstony I got it out and tried a few watches in different ways and JD is right. With the strap removed and taking out or inserting the green fixing you can rotate and access all the watch back. It works perfectly with a bit of lateral thinking. I am however, going to use a bit of thin foam plastic to protect the watch glass when I use it.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

Hello after reading the posting from Digginstony I got it out and tried a few watches in different ways and JD is right. With the strap removed and taking out or inserting the green fixing you can rotate and access all the watch back. It works perfectly with a bit of lateral thinking. I am however, going to use a bit of thin foam plastic to protect the watch glass when I use it.

Cheers,

Vic

Would love to see photo of how you achieve full access to the case back, particularly when the notch is in line with the lug and compensating for the increased depth the blade has to travel. Also retaining stability of the watch in the "Jig"

Then I would definitely put this device on my "To buy List " Probably will anyway as I love buying tools. Value them more than my watches really

Forgot to say. When I come across a case back where the notch is in line with the lug, which seems common in modern watches. I use the Bergeon case back knife. The blade is substantial and well engineered. But with all knives however the watch is protected, there's always the risk of slipping !

These type are quite handy sometimes as well but they need to be dressed especially after a few SSteel experiences. I keep the wider one quite sharp.  Neither are expensive but I have found them quite reliable 

image.jpeg

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1