1968 Girard-Perregaux - To Be Kept For My 70Th Birthday Present

WillFly

I promised myself a little something special for my 70th birthday (which is in August this year) and spotted two watches which fulfilled my particular artistic, technical and financial criteria. One is a 1960s 9ct gold Longines in near mint condition - the other is a 1968-ish Girard-Perregaux. It was obvious this afternoon that the Longines will go for silly money - silly for me, anyway - so I made an offer on the Girard-Perregaux, which was accepted.

The bad news is that I promised my wife that I wouldn't actually have it and wear it until my 70th! So, when it comes, I'll take a quick peek to see it's OK, etc. - and then Madame will prise it from my col, dead hand and hide it from me until the magic date... In the meantime:

post-64-0-71212400-1401283942_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-55817000-1401283963_thumb.jpg

Seventy in August.......you old bugger! :-)

What a lovely clean, simplistic but beautiful watch. I think you should have sent it to Scotland, where I could have checked it out, and if all was OK I could have kept it until your birthday. That way by August you would be desperate to see it. ;-)

Three years ago I treated myself to an old timepiece for my sixtieth...............a grandfather clock!

Seventy in August.......you old bugger! :-)

I think you should have sent it to Scotland, where I could have checked it out, and if all was OK I could have kept it until your birthday. That way by August you would be desperate to see it. ;-)

Oho... I wonder if I'd have got it back... :phew:

The G-P arrived this morning - and it's just as good as it looked in the pics, if not even better. I'm allowed to wear it for the day - just to make sure it's running OK, you understand - and then, kicking and screaming, I have to hand it over to She Who Must Be Obeyed until August. Sob! :(