Omega 1171 bracelet sizing help...please

PWR

I bit the bullet and purchased a brand new Omega 1171/633 bracelet for my son's inherited moon watch.  I've seen videos on sizing the band and they tend to involve a lot of cursing!   The English one is my favorite as the speaker uses the F word but makes it sound so good!

Well...I tried to size the thing and I understand the F word when it relates to the pins you need to knock out.   One of four was removed nicely.  The other three seem to buckle as I tried to beat them out with a small punch.  I've wrestled two of the three out.....only damaging the spare part of the band slightly.  I have 1 more to go....

Looking for advice or what the heck the secret might be....these are not screws...they are split pins and I am pishing them per the arrow on the band.....

thanks in advance

Steve

I'm not sure what advice to give you, I've adjusted far more bracelets than I could guess, but the only times split pin bracelets have ever given me any trouble the solutions have always been the same and fairly obvious, if it doesn't hit out easily with my standard 0.8mm bracelet punch, double check bracelet is ideally placed in plastic bracelet vice (blocks aren't as good) and try a shortened punch and a harder, sharper tap. Once it's moved a little you can usually switch back to a longer punch. 

(You can make a custom bracelet punch if you have an old discarded screwdriver (0.8-1.00 are ideal), remove the top spinning part,  take a screwdriver blade or any random metal pins you might have from anything that will fit, cut to size, and file flat)

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence with that, but you never know what isn't as obvious as you think. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Some pins can be incredibly stubborn. Usually some corrosion is involved. The worse are jubilee types where the center piece doesn't supports the sides and it makes them bend.

PWR take things calmly, I find useful to start with a pin press, the best is the plastic one, it cost 64 cents shipped.

If I can find it again I'll repost the video of the lady calling a.....e a bracelet screw hahaha.

thanks guys....I did use a 0.8 mm bracelet punch and small hammer to try and get the pins out...as I said -- 1 of 4 went smoothly.   Brand new band so no corrosion....

I will need to research plastic pin press....

Where can I find replacement pins for Omega 1171 ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2016 at 7:02 PM, jdm said:

Some pins can be incredibly stubborn. Usually some corrosion is involved. The worse are jubilee types where the center piece doesn't supports the sides and it makes them bend.

PWR take things calmly, I find useful to start with a pin press, the best is the plastic one, it cost 64 cents shipped.

If I can find it again I'll repost the video of the lady calling a.....e a bracelet screw hahaha.

JDM -- your advice saved the day.  I bought a small plastic pin press off e-bay for $5.00.  It is injection molded cheapo thing but it worked great!!!!

I had struggled so without it and with it I went 4 for 4.

I do like this forum and all the great advice out there!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Steve

• Like 1