~Hugs from the Heartland~

LaBelle

Greetings masterful wizards.  I'm Lace, from Nebraska, which is located in the middle of America.  Pleasure "meeting" you.  

This is some group.  I'm more than a bit awestruck by the talent here; a bit envious too.  As a neophyte, many post shoot over my head like a meteor shower.  Learn something with every post I read.  

Always "liked" watches, and fell in love when I finally was able to afford a couple sweet skeleton, jeweled tickers.  Still have plenty of "knock around," but nice, battery operated watches, which seem to be in sync and die all at once.  Decided it didn't make sense to pay to have a bunch of watch batteries changed when I could do it myself- or so I thought.  My first attempt, grabbed my trusty Swiss Army knife and commenced prying a couple backs off.  Massacred them.  Terrible scratches.  Didn't really need those two fingers anyway.  Ahem.  

My learning curve isn't as sharp as I'd expected, but my knife sure is.  

Tell me, good people, how did you get started?  (I offered three different jewelers money to show me some of the basic tricks-of-the-trade.  They all looked at me as if I'd asked for a kidney, and offered to do any repairs/maintenance for me.  Phooey! As a tech/electronic goddess, I'm a DIY'er who has the aptitude to learn this skill.  I hope...)  Is there a remedial watch course somewhere?  Must be.   

I've also purchased cheap, and worthless tool sets.  What are the most useful, and necessary tools does one really need?  

Appreciate any feedback you have, and I am thoroughly enjoying reading, and mentally grappling with, all your fine posts.  Thanks for letting me join the party.  

Tic-toc.  Gotta go save civilization.  Tootles for now.  

ps.  Perspective~~~  The photo is the inside of a violin.  

inside a violin.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome LaBelle.  Lots of guys here to help & advise. The first rule in my opinion is don,t purchase cheap tools because you'll have to replace them anyway. Quality tools if looked after will last a lifetime. There are courses in the USA & I am sure some of our USA members will guide you to them. If you are going to strip a mechanical watch I suggest perhaps a low grade pocket watch. The parts are bigger so easier to handle. 
No question to trivial with this friendly forum enjoy.  PS great pic.

• Like 1

Wow what an introduction.

Welcome LaBelle to this forum. Plenty of help for you on here.

I started in this line of work  by serving a 5 year apprenticeship then another 2 years as an improver. During this time I decided I wanted to concentrate on the better quality antique clocks. The work shop that I worked in was very well equipped. I've been retired now for many years. When it comes to tools buy the best you can afford, lots of info on here when it comes to tools.    

• Like 1

Hello LaBelle and a big welcome to the nicest and most knowledgeable watch repair forum there is ( well that's my opinion anyway) I would agree with clockboy full heartedly don't by cheap tools just because they look ok trust me there not if you intend to stick at this hobby it pays to spend that little bit more. And a running pocket watch movement is a great piece to work on. Just practice stripping it down take photos of every step so you can work backwards to reassemble it and see if it still works do this over and over again until you get that feeling for your drivers and tweezers and you can handle parts with confidence. Good luck and have lots of fun and don't forget everyone is here to help so don't be put off by asking what you might think is a stupid question we all had to learn and if you don't ask you don't learn.

Mick

P.S

That's an impressive pic.:D

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LaBelle said:

I've also purchased cheap, and worthless tool sets.  What are the most useful, and necessary tools does one really need?  

Greetings and welcome, to answer your question: Screwdrivers, tweezers, movement holder, case knife, dust blower, as cad101 mentioned above, don't go cheap, but you don't need to spend copious amounts if your only going to be tinkering, a clean well lit area with plenty of space for parts and disassembly is crucial. There are plenty of vids here and online to help you get a better understanding of how watches work. As with any hobby or interest you have to start with the basics, I'll admit it took me a while to get the hang of manipulating tiny screws, so good hand dexterity is also a plus, and pack your patience, if at first you don't succeed keep trying, often parts will find a way to fit when you least expect it!!, finally, practice on lower grade watches until your confidence increases, don't expect to learn overnight and do take pics of your strip down in phases. We're here to help if you need it.

p.s. that's one tiny violin house :biggrin:

• Like 1

Greetings and Salutations!

I got started by watching Mark's videos, and following some other online tutorials that I found.

As far as tools, don't forget the optics!  Can't work on what you can't see. Lots of options available, there are some good threads here on choosing something to magnify those tiny bits.

• Like 1

Hello Lace,

there are lots of experienced watch repairers on the forum that will help with any problems and a search through the forums on a particular topic will often provide answers.

As for tools get better quality ones as you need them, for instance if you were to try to service a watch such as an ordinary mechanical that is still ticking bought from the bay choose a simple one, perhaps with a face that only has a second hand, hour and minute hand as a starter then take it apart but take pics at each stage and you will have a record on how to put it together after cleaning the parts with lighter fluid / is Naptha or the like. The tools you need will become apparent as you go and if you arrive at a problem you will have a pic to post to evince the help you need. Oils are a whole subject on their own but unless you have bottomless reserves when starting out get a cheaper "watch oil" that will suffice for your project, and take your time.  If you have to force something there are three common possibilities something is wrong with it or with the way you are trying to do it or the tool you are using.

I like tinkering with watches and have serviced a few now but I make plenty mistakes as well and the guys on the forum have helped me out and I am sure you will get help if needed.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 3

Welcome Labelle

I suppose I started tinkering seriously with watches with the purchase of my first Waltham pocket watch.

As for tools think most of us have made the mistake of buying cheap tools !

You probably will never stop buying tools in this game but the best advice is to buy a basic set of Bergeon screwdrivers or similar. A decent set of tweezers but far more important, learn how to "Dress them" (Shape them)

Tony

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hi Lace,

Welcome from Miami, Florida! Yes, don't waste your money on substandard tools! It is not like in our field -- I'm a computer tech/network admin, whatever...yes, it is gotten that way! :). In any case, your handle reminds me of when I used to play classical guitar and I -- sometimes -- used LA BELLE strings! I particularly loved the logo on the package and the high standard ones sounded great with one of my guitars...then I switched to AUGUSTINE (blue), D'ADDARIO (normal and high) and finally to SAVAREZ (high tension on one of my other guitars). In the end I will mix an match brands looking for that special sound... but, well I digress...ahem!

Back on track: There are online classes you can take, check the TimeZone classes (moderately paid: http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/), The Seiko course (http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/), Tascione (mostly clocks I think) and others. I personally recommend to watch Mark's videos and maybe take the TimeZone classes and complement with the free Seiko course...I did a long time ago and it was worth it. One warning though, you will learn by what you do (experience mostly) so expect to ruin and loose many parts and some movements so work on stuff you can replace, learn to dress your tweezers and screwdrivers, and use working movements to learn with so you know, when you are done, you did well if it is still "alive"! :)

To wrap it up, ebay is a good place to find your Guinea pig watches (I use Ramon, the watch collector, a lot) but to find good quality tools, ofrei.com, julesborel.com, cousinsUK.com (parts and documentation) and Esslinger are your best bets for starters! We have a section of suppliers on the resources section you can check out.

You will need good optics (I personally favor the true Donegan Optivisor the true glass version and have it in several graduations but you should prioritize a 4X and a 10X), good tweezers (two #4 or #5 and a #2 or #3 and a battery plastic one) and good patience...mainly, in addition of good screwdriver's set (no less than nine in the set), oils (at least 2 oils and a grease), cleaners (cleaner and rinse), demagnetizer, cleaning machine (ultrasonic would do), parts baskets for the machine, parts trays, some assortment of pliers and cutters, presses, case opening tools (divers accordingly), rust brushes, polishing stuff and abrasives, vises and such, expendable supplies (lint less paper, rodico, pegwood, pithwood, etc), movement holder, case holder, blower, more patience, a good bank account if purchased all at the same time...

In time you will need to build up on spares, starting with band pins and other pins, crystals, gaskets (crystal and back 's), sticky dots for dial feet and spare dial feet, crowns, stems, stem extenders, band parts, wheels, springs, etc. Recycle all you can!

Check out the TZ course listings of tools and supplies, they do a good job for a starter watchmaker. Beyond that, comes a stake tool set, general upgrade of what you already have being it in numbers and/or quality, jeweling set, and other different things you will need or think you will need while progressing  in your hobby. My take on this, start small and patiently, expand!

Ofrei page is messy to navigate but very instructive. Read as much as you can find there too...

Good books are invaluable ("Watch Repair" by De Carle can be downloaded free in pdf.) But we are trained to only read the manual if everything fails...after a re-boot. :)

There, in a nutshell, all you need to know about watches!! :thumbsu:

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  To all of you generous people.  Want to respond to each of you individually, but not seeing how one goes about doing so.  

How kind of you all to share such useful, and encouraging, information.  I've hunted down a couple of working specimens to experiment on.  Had to be working, as I'm a compulsive trouble-shooter who loves a good challenge, so I'd drive myself crazy if the timepiece didn't function after I got it back together.  

So excited to get started.  Still trying to decide what knife/opener to get.  Yes, I am spending some money for one that will serve me well.  But which one?  

Am also checking out the classes, and putting Mark's videos on a continuous loop.

You guys rock!  The best of the best is right here.  I appreciate ALL OF YOU.  

~Blows BIG Kiss~ 

~Lace~   

antique-pocket-watch-opened-old-books-and-flowers.jpg

There's many case back opening knives but once again it depends on quality of the blade cheap ones dent and bend I've got a bergeon one somewhere but to be honest I prefer my grandads old one that must be at least 70 years old the blades thinner and as tough as old boots and sharpens up lovely.20160828_085006.jpg

• Like 1

Nice knife Cad! Glad you posted that picture and thank you for showing us! Yes, the cheap ones bend and in general, all come very thick so after the dressing/sharpening time spend it is frustrating how they perform. It is still necessary to have one around so I'd say the Bergeon or Horotec brands, although expensive, will do good. In most instances, I find this one is all you need:

Bergeon 4755 Watch Opener Tool Bergeon Case Opener Pry Type

Nice knife Cad! Glad you posted that picture and thank you for showing us! Yes, the cheap ones bend and in general, all come very thick so after the dressing/sharpening time spend it is frustrating how they perform. It is still necessary to have one around so I'd say the Bergeon or Horotec brands, although expensive, will do good. In most instances, I find this one is all you need:

4755__73755.1418242372.500.750.jpg?c=2

That opener really looks the business Bob. I have the knife type. Didn't know Bergeon made this type of lever opener. I have a cheap version. That Bergeon is going to cope with any snap caseback.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

LaBelle,

(relatively inexpensive) but effective is what I like, I recently purchased a set of tweezers (okay, starts with a C and ends with hinese) but less than $25.

The brand feels very well in my hand and comes in 'standard' sizes.  An upgrade from the NN brand I started with. It's a matter of what you are comfortable with. I have seen seasoned veterans use a razor type blade to open karat gold hunter cases. I have also learned not to use tweezers or any other tool beyond their design, no prying or trying to leverage stuck parts. The right tool for the job applies.

In time, you should develop your own style for stripping down a watch and tools are just an extension of your style.

BTW, I had to purchase a new camera just to take better pics, recommended by a member on this site.

SHOW US SOME PICTURES!  Don't be shy plenty of help here.