Wostok 2214 Double Third Wheel

Hello everybody!

I opened yesterday a Wostok 2214 (date, centre second) and I had a surprise when I found a “double” third wheel! I searched the service manual and there it was, part 211 – double third wheel and pinion.

Does anybody know, by any chance, why did they use a double wheel? And for the cleaning, I suppose I have to take them apart those two wheels, don’t I? I don't think they rotate sepparetely.

Thank you!
Bogdan

I'd guess that it drives the centre second wheel for the sweep second hand. If this is the case, do not separate them for cleaning.

This is just my opinion, please take other advice before proceeding!

yes, it does drive the center second whel and also the fourth wheel. But from my observation, the height of both pinions is the same of the both-wheels-summed-up-height. So why would you use two wheels instead of only one of the total height. Anyway, I have to clean it. How do I do that without taking them apart. Do I put oil between them them? I suppose hp1300 would be ok.

Again my take on this is:

Disassemble the watch but do not try to separate these "double wheels" then clean thoroughly.

On reassembly only lubricate plain pivots, jewelled pivots and contact surfaces of sliding mechanisms.

Do not lubricate any of the gears.

Please do nothing until this be confirmed or otherwise by one of the professional watchmakers.

• 2 months later...
I would like to ask again about this double third wheel.

I understand that it’s for the seconds hand not to jump 4-5 seconds when you set the time backwards.

I sort of cleaned the wostok 2214 with the double third wheel, but at the end, the seconds hand still jumps when setting the time backwards-forwards. Maybe they got loose and there is not enough friction between those two wheels… I don’t know.

Could anyone explain their purpose or how they should work?

Thank you,

Bogdan