Help just got gasoline on my omega seamaster bond watch

Hello I just got a lot of gasoline on my omega seamaster bond watch. I immediately put water on it but do you think there is any damage to gaskets or seals. I have tested it for waterproof and it was fine so I hope nothing got in. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No damage. Synthetic rubber (without entering the specific material which can vary) with which the gaskets are made is similar to the ones in the o-rings of a car engine. And these take hot oil, gas and their vapors for hours every day for years. 

• Like 1

i don't think you have a problem, BUT,  be careful, gas will go where water  wont,  and the "new gas" with "various aditives and  alcohol"  can cause problems.   i have seen Honda bike carb.  o-rings disolved into a tar like goo that even acetone would not cut..

yeah.. the additives they put in petrol nowadays is pretty vicious. It turns older fuel hoses to jelly and leaves a lot of residue in the carbs if left to evaporate.

If you dive with your watch I'd suggest getting the caseback/crystal rubber and crown replaced. If you only need basic water-resistance (dishes, getting caught in the rain) then you should be ok.

Anil

The issues mentioned above with ethil alcohol are exaggerated. For one, not all countries the same amount of alchol in gasoline. Then the decay happens with prolonged exposition for certain types of rubber that are very very old and that have passed useful live already long before seeing e20 gasoline. And for a watch gasket there is absolutely nothing to worry, it may seem strange but the chemist responding to manufacturer specifications prepares a product to resist most common aggressive agents not just water. You can try yourself leave a quality watch gasket in gasoline for a week, report results here.