mainspring oiling

matabog

Windles clock oil will do the trick apply with a small paint brush, but be careful many repairers tend to apply to much. As clockboy says it will leak out. The only time I would use grease for mainsprings would be in the 400day or today there known as anniversary clocks. 

4 hours ago, vinn3 said:

i tend to not use oil or grease on the main spring un less i spot rust on the spring.  what i do think is important; take the spring out of the barrel and inspect it carefully, the full length and ends.

If you don't use oil or grease what do you use. If you take the spring out of the barrel make sure you do it by using a mainspring winder other wise you can damage the spring.

If you just use your hands for taking a mainspring out of a barrel and again for putting it back in you will distort the spring. When the spring is being wound up in the barrel the spring distorts causing uneven rubbing inside and the strength of the spring becomes uneven in its distribution of its power  which can cause regulating problems and the end result is poor timekeeping.      

Thank you all for your answers!

My question was how to oil the mainspring, meaning how to apply oil to it? One answer was with a brush.

Could I use some lint-free-paper covered in oil to walk it on the mainspring's entire length?

Boghdan

39 minutes ago, matabog said:

I don't understand. Why oil the MS around the arbor?

Maybe the arbors's "pivots", meaning the contact points between the arbor and the barrel (cap and bottom) and the holes in the plates.

Bogdan

The arbor is the part that the key fits onto. So a little oil should be put around the part that hooks onto the mainspring also a little oil to the holes that the arbor passes through in the barrel.

Edited by oldhippy

• 2 years later...

With the last few clocks I have used "Horoglide" which is a new lubricant that is recommended for clock springs. So far it has given very good results. it is sold by Meadows & Passmores . Here is their sales bumpf:

HOROGLIDE: A revolutionary new lubricant from M&P! 15ml An oil-based grease that coats the spring's surfaces with an incredibly slippery coating that helps them glide over each other without sticking, being squeezed out or drying. An amazing new alternative to traditional oil OR grease solutions. Comes in easy-to-dispense, 15ml syringe with applicator.