Back after illness

Hi Guys i'm back after a quite a bad flare up of rheumatoid arthritis.  Its a bit frustrating really. I started this hobby to give me some thing to look forward to in retirement, and after getting very hooked in a short space of time & spending what I'd say a considerable amount of money on tools etc.. I've now been diagnosed with RA. 

However, I feel quite blessed as when it first took hold it was quite aggressive & TBH I was starting to think about giving up work, buying a bungalow & installing a disabled ramp.  But with the help of meds i'm now starting to feel more myself apart from the fact I can't straighten my arms lol.

Anyway I'm back at work & feeling much more positive.  i'm probably going to loose a lot of screws, click springs etc. but want to get back to the hobby i loved.

David

• Like 3

Welcome back im sure you will be back to your old self soon enough. My stroke didn't stop me you just adapt I do still have a dodgy right hand that often has a life of its own when trying to pick up things with tweezers but a sit back and a deep breath sorts it out oh and me swearing at it like a n navvy  helps alot too :D

Thanks guys for your kind warm welcome back.  Now I just have to remember how i disassembled this movado HS360 kingmatic, at least I took pictures. However, can't remember which size screws go where.  Its been soaking in lighter fluid for 3 months lol

WIN_20160603_15_15_33_Pro.jpg

IMAG0011.JPG

IMAG0035.JPG

IMAG0037.JPG

IMAG0057.JPG

IMAG0060.JPG

IMAG0063.JPG

• Like 1

Welcome back. Not easy when one has forgot where the screws should sit. But could be done with some trial and error.

Maybe not as RA ? But i have some bad thumbs. Arthritis in both my thumbs . Little bad back and arthritis in my feet: 

But can be without something to put my hands on. Even if i drop thing from time to time: 

Edited by rogart63

Welcome David, good to have you back.

Glad you are coming to terms with the RA and still able to enjoy the watch tinkering. I have had a few comical incidents lately after retiring from a job 5 years ago that often had me literally on my knees laying in network cabling and rerouting telecoms. I have frequently got down on my knees to do some diy or gardening and couldn't actually get up again other than by crawling to the steps or a chair, well you have to laugh sometimes. Luckily I can sit in a chair to mess with my watches.

All the best,

Vic

re the Movado.

1. Group the similar screw together, you should be able to identify the bridge screws by design and the number you need, eg 3 for train bridge, 3 for barrel bridge, one for balance cock.

2. Assemble the watch without wheels and look out for any screw which potrudes on the back-side.

3. screws which live deep in the movement have very shallow heads.. eg centre wheel bridge, pallet fork bridge.

4. Screws with a tapered base will fit into a hole with a tapered seat.

A bit fiddly but doable, patience and an organised approach is all thats needed!

Anil

• Like 3

One more thing regarding screws... screws that hold a movable part would have a 'shoulder'. Example the screw holding the 'click', without the shoulder, the screw will keep on tightening against the click rendering it immobile. You will find this on the calender (day/date) wheels as well.

Sorry for multiple posts.

Anil

• Like 1