Omega Seamster 502 - Crystal Help Request

This is another one of my Grandfather’s watches. It had stopped running years ago. I decided to take the back off and have a look.

20160730_Omega-Seamaster-502_001.jpg20160730_Omega-Seamaster-502_002.jpg 

First thing I noticed was a rusty crown shaft and one of the screws that holds the movement was rusty also. I removed the crown and the watch from the case. When I removed the crown it started running. 

20160730_Omega-Seamaster-502_006.jpg20160730_Omega-Seamaster-502_007.jpg

I removed the rust from the crown and screw and reinstalled the crown with some lubrication. It has been running and keeping pretty good time for 3 days now.

Help Request: I would like to ask for some help and guidance for finding the proper crystal for this watch. I have searched and searched but I can not match any of the numbers I have to anything I have found online. This really has me stumped. Here is the information I have with a few pictures also.

• Omega
  • Seamaster Calendar
  • Calibre: 502
  • Movement Serial Number: 17073574
  • Numbers inside case:
  • KX6275
  • E76553

20160730_Omega-Seamaster-502_003.jpg20160730_Omega-Seamaster-502_004.jpg20160730_Omega-Seamaster-502_005.jpg

If anyone could steer me in the right direction to locate the proper crystal I would appreciate it.

What's wrong with the crystal? If it is acrylic you can polish it very easily, actually you can even if mineral glass.

Regarding the watch running fine, consider that technically speaking that is kind of unlikely after so many years, and impossible to tell without a timegrapher. Which of course doesn't mean that is not wearable occasionally or that you must have something done to it.

• Like 1

Does the watch have an original Omega crystal?  Use magnification and look at the center of the crystal, an original Omega crystal will have an Omega symbol  in the center.  Does the crystal have any cracks? 

I agree with jdm, after many years the movement is in need of a good service.... 

This is a high end movement and deserves a proper service.

You can use it as it is occasionally but a proper service with modern lubricants should see it working well for at least 10years.

Anil

There is no omega symbol on the current crystal. The crystal does have cracks around the edge as in the photos below. I agree it deserves a good proper service. 

Any help on locating a proper crystal would be appreciated. 20160802_Omega-Seamaster-502_003.jpg20160802_Omega-Seamaster-502_001.jpg20160802_Omega-Seamaster-502_002.jpg

27 minutes ago, jdm said:

Can you measure the crystal? If 29.6 x 4.3 could be the pz/px500 as listed by Ofrei.

[Edit: possibly not as these have a colored ring?]

I know I would probably need to remove the crystal to measure it precisely. I would rather not remove it at this time. the measurement below are as close as I could determine with the crystal still mounted on the case. 

Diameter: 29.464mm
Height: 4.064mm

Also I can not find a pz/px500 on Orfei - did you mean their pz/px 5000? If so this was as close as I could find but it still does not list my 6275 number.

I was guessing the diameter might be 29.6 from all the researching I have done. I really wish I could find one I could match to the number on the case. 

If you want a genuine Omega part, then Jules Borel lists it as PX5022

For some reason I can't paste a link right now, but if you search their material utilityfor the case number (drop the EX) then it comes up as CRY-1651... You then have to search their site for that part yo get the Omega number

This does have a coloured tension ring, As I believe all Seamasters from that era would have.

I would also measure first to be sure.

Stuart

7 hours ago, StuartBaker104 said:

If you want a genuine Omega part, then Jules Borel lists it as PX5022

For some reason I can't paste a link right now, but if you search their material utilityfor the case number (drop the EX) then it comes up as CRY-1651... You then have to search their site for that part yo get the Omega number

This does have a coloured tension ring, As I believe all Seamasters from that era would have.

I would also measure first to be sure.

Stuart

Stuart - Thank you!

I am having trouble finding/searching though. Is this the correct place to search?

http://cgi.julesborel.com

Also you say drop the the EX(do you mean the KX?) that would mean search for 6275. When I do that I get nothing found. 

I also get nothing when I search for the part numbers you provided. I even searched the specific site with google site search. 

Please let me know, I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Clayton

• 2 months later...

Hello Clayton,

I have two Omega's ( Omega Constellation Calendar 504) similar to your grandfather's watch and I had a hard time finding the right crystal. Because of trial and error I have two crystals that might work for you:

One is a genuine Omega that measure 29.4mm

DSCN0634.JPG

and the other is an aftermarket crystal that is intended for Omega and measures 29.6mm and has a round cyclops window.

DSCN0627.JPG

Both are unused but packages opened (as I said...trial and ERROR!) If these are right for you, we can work something out. I see that O Frei wants $72.00 for the same crystal--its unconscionable!  Just PM me.

J

Edited by noirrac1j
  • Like 1

• Similar Content