Oil investment

Claytonc

You won't regret it, though!

Open it, clean it, inspect it, clean it again and again until spotless....and then put some god knows what oil on it... bleah!

It is a good investement. I suppose that D5 broke the bank!

• Like 1

I don't know what you need to to but I'll say what I honestly think, that's about twice as much is needed for a beginner/amateur. These products have a short shelf life too.

Do not assume that lubricants cannot be replaced. For example, D-5 like all natural oils are still in the service sheets of old movements just because nobody wants to revise something that has been in place for 60 years and is not even made anymore.,  

I wouldn't be able to eat for a month and sell a kidney if I had bought that lot in one go. Nice selection of oils tho now get repairing and servicing. What I don't understand tho is why synthetic oil has a shelf life it has no organic compounds to degrade. Maybe it's just another one of those Mr Big things making you buy more subliminal messages to your brain its on the bottle it must be true must buy more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matabog said:

what about M8200? Is it ok instead of hp-1300? It is cheaper...

I think that 8200 is really tick grease, not grease-oil like 1300. I don't have it, anyway.

Edited by jdm

9 minutes ago, matabog said:

cousinsuk:

D5 20ml 24 pounds

hp1300 20ml 61 pounds

I don't that an amateur will be able to use 20ml of grease in 20 lifetimes.

HP-1300, toq quality, longer shelf life, 2ml  £13.95 works for me.

I am an amateur at best... let's say hobyist. With a low budget...I wasn't referring to the 20ml but to the difference in price.

I am not sure if he did the right thing buying all those expensive oils, if the marketing behind HP1300 is entitled to put it above D5 or if those guys that make the movement service sheets (Eta, Selita) are absolutely right in recommending those 10 types of oil for one movement. 

Bogdan

31 minutes ago, matabog said:

I am not sure if he did the right thing buying all those expensive oils, if the marketing behind HP1300 is entitled to put it above D5 or if those guys that make the movement service sheets (Eta, Selita) are absolutely right in recommending those 10 types of oil for one movement. 

Not sure about the Swiss but with Seiko 3 types is enough and I don't see why it should be different for other movements,considering it's always metal to to metal or stone friction..

Believe me, I only bought the minimum amounts available. All recommended on this great forum... here:

Plus a couple of clock oils for Dad. :)

Oh Man! I still need Silicon Grease...Does it ever end?

Edited by Claytonc
added content

10 minutes ago, Claytonc said:

Believe me, I only bought the minimum amounts available. All recommended on this great forum... here:

You were reading an advanced type of recommendation. The most important asset in this hobby I think is being reasonable, progress in small steps and do not go after windmillds, I can promise you that no pallet jewel suffered because begin given 9010 instead of 9020; but what it makes the all the difference is HOW and HOW MUCH you lubricate.

Same story for tor tools; anyone can spend a fortune on the best brands and exotic gizmos; but without knowing how to use them, they are the same than the cheap ones.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jdm said:

You were reading an advanced type of recommendation.

I was reading Mark's recommendation to this post below. Looks to me like he was giving this "advanced type" recommendation to another Guy getting his work station started. Anyway, I don't regret the purchase, I'm happy and proud to have them. Thanks for taking the time to share your personal knowledge with me.