Whats the best tip you gained from watching Mark's videos?

I think the best tip I got was using a simple piece of polythene-bag over the dial when removing the hands. SO simple and cheap (I Like Cheap!) and works flawlessly!

Stops the possibility of the little buggers flying off into unknown-land with all the other lost parts too!

A big thanks for that tip Mark!

• Like 2

I found the one on staffing a balance very informative and the series about using a timergrapher too.

P.S Something that was drummed into me by my gramps was dress your tweezers so every Sunday morning I do just that I have lovely tweezers :D

The patience that is necessary to tackle working on watches . As was mentioned , Nothing is forced or rushed . 

In one of the videos he was working on a watch that presented a particular obstacle to overcome . Toward the end of the video , after he had completed the repair he said , "That's the Joy of watchmaking ", which illustrates the attitude and demeanor he brings to the table and sharing his knowledge and experience with us .

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, toptime810 said:

How To Align The Hairspring to set the watch in beat. Watch repair techniques

All videos are great information but this video helped me out the most. Without this video I would have never figured it all out, thanks Mark

I second the motion .  That video gets my vote also .....

Using pegwood to hold a spring during removal or assembly.  I've replaced a jewel, realigned a few hairsprings, removed and replaced a balance staff, corrected the beat error (via collet adjustment)... the list goes on- all these things I did after watching his demonstration video first.  Using pegwood to hold springs down is the big one though.  Whenever I get impatient a spring goes flying and I think to myself, "that's not how I was taught to do this".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For this complete novice the important things I learned from watching the videos are to be patient and methodical, tweezer skills matter, and watch the videos again. 

Learned as much the second time around as I did the first. (Though that is coming off a minimal knowledge base.)

Mark's videos are a nice mix of educational and relaxing. B)