Naphtha,

I think 'pure 100% Naphtha' might be a self defeating phrase, according to wiki/google it's a generic term for various oil mixtures of hydrocarbons. Maybe that's why you can't find 'pure naphtha' (unless it is normally diluted with some other additive/retardant as well?) Hope that helps. :wacko:

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

if you check the side of the lighter fluid cans of various makes then you will probably get as near to it as possible for what you want ie Petroleum Spirit - Light Aliph (Naptha).  I found a tremendous variation in the fluids but look for "Extra Refined" on the can and the only substance to be stated as being Naptha as in some cases the light Aliph is diluted by kerosene / parrafin.  All companies are obliged to publish a sheet to state what is within their product and for instance Zippo is a mix of Naptha and Kerosene where in the past it used to be pure Naptha and was probably degraded for financial reasons.  Note that it is not always the expensive ones that are the purest.

In any case as someone who just works on one watch at a time I use the lighter fluid for the first clean and Isopropanol for the wash.  You may wish to keep the Pallets out of this for fear of melting the glue / shellac.  A handy test for any liquid given by George in this forum is a few drops of fluid on a clean mirror allowed to evaporate then wipe the mirror with a black cloth if you get a white residue don't use it.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 3

I've been using Kleenstrip VM&P (Varnish Makers & Painters) naptha, it seems to work OK. The following is from the MSDS which is on their site.

The CAS# is a standard chemical ID. 

CAS # 64742-49-0

Hazardous Components (Chemical Name) - Hydrotreated light naphtha

Concentration  - 95.0 -100.0 % 

Edited by dadistic
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

In Canada we can get the GIANT economy size at Canadian Tire with Coleman Camp fuel:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-fuel-naphtha-0760044p.html 

http://www.paddlinghq.com/how-stuff-works/4470-what-exactly-is-colman-camping-fuel.html 

Just kidding....

Zippo is your best bet in the US. Zippo was bought out by Ronson and they always sold 100% Naphtha. 

"What is RONSONOL lighter fluid made of?

It's reported to be pure 100% Naptha, just like ZIPPO brand lighter fluid. So Ronsonol and ZIPPO fluids are identical, the only difference is price (plus Ronsonol comes in a plastic bottle while I see ZIPPO usually in metal cans)."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MilTimeCan said:

In Canada we can get the GIANT economy size at Canadian Tire with Coleman Camp fuel:

http://www.paddlinghq.com/how-stuff-works/4470-what-exactly-is-colman-camping-fuel.html 

Just kidding....

Zippo is your best bet in the US. Zippo was bought out by Ronson and they always sold 100% Naphtha. 

It's reported to be pure 100% Naptha, just like ZIPPO brand lighter fluid. So Ronsonol and ZIPPO fluids are identical, the only difference is price (plus Ronsonol comes in a plastic bottle while I see ZIPPO usually in metal cans)."

Thanks for the information :)

I always thought Coleman camp fuel had a rust inhabitant added to it and was not therefore a pure spirit.  However, I do not know what if any effect that would have as I always finish with an Isapropanol wash anyway.

Cheers,

Vic

On 6 September 2016 at 2:43 AM, MilTimeCan said:

Just kidding....

I think it used to be but no longer it has been changed to 70% petrol and 30% Naptha. Cost saving. It may still be viable but I get a cheap brand called Swan that is 100% Naptha.
I don't believe in absolutes so if you use a secondary pure isopropanol wash but I don!t know whether it not being pure Naptha makes whatever difference. Just, as I only use small amounts I have always used the purest  Naptha I could find. It's up to the individual.
you could always try the mirror test ie. Put a few drops on a scrupulously clean small mirror and allow it to evaporate. Wipe with a black cloth and if you find a white residue showing up on the cloth perhaps it may be better not to use it as a single wash.
Cheers,
Vic
Cheers,
Vic

Vich

Your investigation had me wondering, especially in this day and age when marketing primes over size content (have you noticed smaller sized packages in your grocery store) and product content .

So I set out to see if Ronsonol has changed composition since their buyout of Zippo.

In Canada, chemical manufacturers are required by law to put out a "Safety Data Sheet" which is used by firefighters and workplace safety supervisors and staff.

I found the last version, dated in 2013:  

http://images11.palcdn.com/hlr-system/Documents/86/865/8653/8653610_MSDS_EN_02_25_2016.pdf   

It doesn't list anything other than light petroleum distillate.

I hasten to add, the Naphtha content in Ronsonol and Zippo appears to be the source of some controversy in the last years:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/249662-naphtha-ronsonol-lighter-fluid-no-longer-contains-it/

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26372

It is clear by the 2013 Safety Data Sheet (above) that Zippo in the US is the producer.

I have compared this information with previous Safety Data sheets (pre Zippo buyout)

http://www.ronson.com/en/Safety Data Sheet Ronson Lighter Fluid May 08.pdf 

http://www.local510.org/msds_sheets/Ronsonol_MSDS.pdf

I did find this item which clarifies and provides a reasonable explanation (I do the same to my guitars when I work on them because Naphtha leaves no residue):

Size: 12 oz.Color: Yellow Verified Purchase
It won't say naphtha on the bottle anymore, as this is now associated with chemicals known to have harmful effects. (This is true of all solvents and hydrocarbons actually!). However, looking at the MSDS provided by Zippo, it appears to be consistent with other "naphtha" labeled products. Naphtha, as it turns out is just a generic term for many kinds of distillates of natural gas or petroleum, which have hydrocarbons of varying molecular weights. The distillated fraction is then classified by the molecular weight as light, heavy, etc and grouped accordingly. At the prices that lighter fluid has gone for historically, it is impossible that the fractions were very pure to begin with. (It is, after all, just lighter fluid, not some industrial or research grade product.)

Therefore, while it may not have a re-assuring label, I believe this is safe to use as the previous version. In fact, there is no real proof that the formula actually changed. If someone knows differently (a real chemist for example), please speak up!

I continue to use this on expensive guitars, including my Gibson Les Paul Standard and my American Fender Stratocaster, with nothing but great results. I would encourage everyone who uses this (or any cleaning product for that matter) on an expensive instrument to FIRST apply it to a CLEAN, soft rag (like an old t-shirt), rather than directly to the instrument itself. I have explained my opinions on this matter, but I don't qualify them as anything but opinions. Therefore, please use at your own risk

https://www.amazon.com/Ronson-Consumer-99063-12-Ounce-Ronsonol/dp/B0017X1NGO/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i   

Coleman lists it's camp fuel as 100% Naphta the chemical definition they use is Light Hydrotreated Distillate : 

Light Hydrotreated Distillate
CAS NUMBER: 68410-97-9
Petroleum Distillate (Naphtha) 
TWA-400ppm

http://zenstoves.net/MSDS/Coleman.htm 

When you run the CAS number through the search engines it comes up as the same CAS number which appears in the 2013 Ronsonol Data Safety Sheet and the CAS lists the product as :

Systematic Names

• Distillates (petroleum), light distillate hydrotreating process low-boiling
  • Distillates (petroleum), light distillate hydrotreating process, low-boiling
  • Distillates, petroleum, light distillate hydro

Superlist Name

• Distillates, (petroleum), light distillate hydrotreating process, low-boiling

https://chem.sis.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/rn/68410-97-9 

When you run a search on the CAS number and NAPHTHA

the EXXON safety data sheet lists this CAS number as Naphtha:  

CAS                    Other Names

No. 68410-97-9  Solvent naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light naphthenic  

http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Chem-English/Files/Resources/nappar-6-product-safety-summary.pdf 

I hope this provides some additional information to all those interested.  

• Like 2

I use Ronsonol sometimes on balance wheel/hairsprings and jewels....but never in my guitars! My fender Stratocaster (vintage) is still good and only knows her own rag...each of my guitars have a particular rag...it is not a common rag as in "One For All and All...." oh but I digress...my watches don't know rags but naphtha in the form of Ronsonol as I said before and they are happy watches....at least they look happy to me! :)

In any case, that was awesome information and saved for a rainy day in its own corner in my hard drive. Thanks MilTime, much appreciated!...and good to know there are naphtha loving guitars out there too...I didn't know!

The beauty with this forum is you learn about watches and also about other useful stuff!:thumbsu:

Cheers,

Bob

Funnily enough I was asking my chemical engineer friend about this other day in relation to Essence of Renata. Not sure I understand all of this but:
A quick check of properties etc show that it is primarily heptane with a bit of hexane (and probs some other petroleum distillate in there too). These are straight chain hydrocarbons with 7 and 6 carbon atoms respectively. Lighter fuel is also known as naphtha and is a mix of various distillate based molecules with around 6 carbon atoms (straight chain and some aromatics). So, yep, lighter fuel is pretty similar and I bet a damn sight cheaper. Basically they are both low molecular weight non-polar solvents which will dissolve grease and oils and then evaporate completely at room temperature. (Lighter fuel is also good for polishing nitrocellulose lacquers, i.e those found on Les Pauls).
Pip

Sent from my brain using evolution and electricity.

17 hours ago, bobm12 said:

I use Ronsonol sometimes on balance wheel/hairsprings and jewels....but never in my guitars! My fender Stratocaster (vintage) is still good and only knows her own rag...each of my guitars have a particular rag...it is not a common rag as in "One For All and All...." oh but I digress...my watches don't know rags but naphtha in the form of Ronsonol as I said before and they are happy watches....at least they look happy to me! :)

In any case, that was awesome information and saved for a rainy day in its own corner in my hard drive. Thanks MilTime, much appreciated!...and good to know there are naphtha loving guitars out there too...I didn't know!

The beauty with this forum is you learn about watches and also about other useful stuff!:thumbsu:

Cheers,

Bob

Just one additional point Bob, a little goes a long way with Ronsonol, barely coating a clean cloth on guitars.:biggrin:   

• Like 1

My local Aldi has a pile of litre bottles of white spirit on sale and on closer inspection it states the contents as being Naptha. May or may not be useful but I will give it a test and see. If nothing else I can clean my brushes with it.
Cheers,
Vic