Seiko oscillating weight repair possibility?

This is my first disassembly. :DThe movement is a 7s26 from a Seiko 5 watch. It was running a few minutes at a time before disassembly. The oscillating weight was in two pieces. It appears the three pins(?) have all broken.

My questions are: Can this be repaired? Is it as simple as pushing the broken pins out and replacement? What tool would I need to perform such a repair. I know I can replace the complete oscillating weight, but what fun would that be?

Thanks for your time and knowledge,

20160717_untitled_011.MOV.00_00_48_09.Still001.jpg20160717_untitled_011.MOV.00_00_52_25.Still003.jpg20160717_untitled_013.MOV.00_04_26_16.Still001.jpg

Never seen that before. But sometime is a first time for everything? i guess you could push some new pins in? Stainless steel pins. But i think you would need a staking tool. 

Have a few of those but i reckon you would be better of buying a new or som movements from the watchcollector on Ebay. 

• Like 1

I had this happen to  a rescued 7s26 from watchcollector, posted pics a few weeks ago. I used glue, not a lot and its been running fine sure seems to be a common issue with these movements.

2 hours ago, WileyDave said:

I had this happen to  a rescued 7s26 from watchcollector, posted pics a few weeks ago. I used glue, not a lot and its been running fine sure seems to be a common issue with these movements.

What type of glue did you use? Super glue?

1 hour ago, Claytonc said:

What type of glue did you use? Super glue?

yes, but sparingly, like a small dot on each pin, I let set overnight in a clothespin, make sure assembly is level with weight, just like factory, now I won't guarantee it will work for you, but pretty sure the tolerances for weight assm should be able handle a few dots of glue, let us know what happens.

Dave

• Like 1

I had this with two Seiko LM's last week alone, exact same problem. I refitted/alligned the parts together and staked them with a small square/rectangular punch, with a good stake or crimp at each outer edge they weight will stay in place correctly :)

If done well the stake marks are not visible from outer side of oscillator, just in case you have clear back :thumbsu:

Personally i would avoid superglue as temperature fluctuations over time may cause the weight to separate from the rotor, if staking is not possible due to lack of tooling them Loctite make some very strong thread lock solutions that can be used without much traces being left ( plus unaffected by temps under 50c ). Just my 2 cents 

1 hour ago, MrBeat said:

Personally i would avoid superglue as temperature fluctuations over time may cause the weight to separate from the rotor, if staking is not possible due to lack of tooling them Loctite make some very strong thread lock solutions that can be used without much traces being left ( plus unaffected by temps under 50c ). Just my 2 cents 

I agree and you guessed my problem...lack of tooling. I'm just looking into purchasing a staking tool set. So many to choose from on the fleabay. Thanks of the Loctite suggestion. 

3 minutes ago, Claytonc said:

I agree and you guessed my problem...lack of tooling. I'm just looking into purchasing a staking tool set. So many to choose from on the fleabay.

If you are at the beginning and plan to do simple work, service and some parts replacement, a staking set is not a priority purchase.

1 minute ago, jdm said:

If you are at the beginning and plan to do simple work, service and some parts replacement, a staking set is not a priority purchase.

Defiantly at the beginning. I just got my first set of Bergeon Screwdrivers delivered yesterday. I didn't know what i was missing.  Hugh difference having quality tools.

If you get yourself some Loctite 290 or stronger ( check their website for stats/strengths ) you can get a good bond. Line each surface that requires the bond carefully with a light layer ,fix together , wipe away excess with some methylated spirit on cloth. Should set  firm in 20 minutes but fully cured in 24 hours. Best of all if done right there will be no signs it was ever detached :)

• Like 1