Question

Howdy to all. Its amazing to see how this forum is flourishing exponentially. Mark deserves a lot of credit for pulling this together :thumbsu:

I need some help with restoring a mineral glass. I believe it is possible to polish a mineral glass by removing the scratches. I have never tried it myself but would love to give it a go.

I understand that its just not worth investing so much time polishing it esp if its a round glass which costs only couple of dollars. However, it might be worth for some odd shaped glasses.

Have any of you guys performed that before? I would love to hear all the different approaches.

Thanks a lot in advance

Ash (NZ)

2 answers to this question

Hello Ash,

If you have a look at Tissot 2031 in this forum you will see my first attempt.  There is a guy called Ian on you tube advertising his wares -   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Mineral-Glass-Crystal-Scratch-Removal-Glass-Polish-Powder-Small-Kit-/380895737649?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item58af27b731%C2'> and I watched him and basically copied using my dremel first with emery and moving on to paste from his cheapest kit.  I think it is fair to say it worked.  You can not just work on the scratch or you perceive distortion.  the edges have to be feathered across the glass and even then if you look through a loupe there is a change in the glass which is not visible to the naked eye.  There are loads of diamond cutting pastes available on ebay and in general you start with the rough stuff and finish with a fine polish.  PS Saphire crystals are a different animal and I would think twice about attempting them.

Now the bad news, probably because I was over cautious and had not done it before it took me about 2 hours working through two grades of emery and three grades of paste.  For me this is just a hobby and the end result was my reward.  However, I now believe that it would have been easier for me to replace the glass ! but at least I had a try and it more or less worked.  The watch however, can be said to be completely original.

Acrylic / plastic however, is a different thing and I used polywatch and in 7 mins it worked its magic, again there is an example in the hints part of the forum.

Again I must say I am a complete novice and if anyone contradicts what I say they are most likely correct but have a look on you tube and decide whether you want to give it a try.

Good Luck,

Vich

Vich,

I can echo your comments.

I have used the same guy's products which I bought via eBay. tried his techniques and then added a few similar methods of my own based on the same principals/materials.

In my opinion if you want to try it and do this as a Hobby then it's interesting and rewarding to have a go.

But if I wanted a totally unblemished finish relatively quickly I would buy and fit a new glass.

Bern

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mcoulton
      Hello
      Can someone recommend a Diamond Paste to remove scratches from an Acrylic, Mineral and / or Sapphire crystal? I see various sellers on Ebay and Amazon, however I wonder if anyone in the group can specifically recommend a brand or reply with a link to the product used.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Michael
    • By Anthony1979
      Hello. I recently received my diamond pastes and have had some success using a leather band and microfiber along with the pastes to reduce and (in some cases) remove scratches from the lenses of various watches. I am wondering now how to bring the process from hours to minutes. I want to be able to polish metal bands as well, but glass & crystals are my main focus. I have found that all the rorory tools run at 10k to 35k rpm. I know i need more like 1k to 7k rpm. Are these possible to find? does anyone have other suggestions? I looked into bench polishers. These look great for bands, but i dont have a garage and im not sure this is the best option for removing scratches from crystals and glass lenses. what is recommended for doing this at home? thanks in advance.
    • By wilding
      Any advice out there for cleaning/polishing watch crystal glass?
      I know there are videos upon videos on howto clean acrylic watch crystal glass using toothpaste, Cape Cod cloths, an old toothbrush, etc.
      However, I am trying to get a number of scratches out of a watch crystal I have taken the movement out of. It is for me a "tester".
      I am fairly sure that this "tester" watch crystal is glass.
      I have sandpaper (wet/dry) and I have a Cape Cod cloth which I have just started using.
      I think you can see the scratches in question in the pics.
      So, what I have done so far is use 400-grit sandpaper to scrub across the grain of the scratches. I have also tried scrubbing in a circular motion.
      Maybe I am just not very persistent at this. I scrubbed for some time. But all I can see is that NOTHING is disappearing, and the only thing that IS happening is that now the whole glass is covered in a new set of sandpaper-made marks.
      Maybe I can use the Cape Cod cloth to get these out. Maybe I can use the other 1500-grit sandpaper to smooth things out too.
      This process looks so easy in the various Youtube videos. yes, I know these things can take time, but HOW LONG?? This is NOT one of the fun sides of watch repair that I am looking forward to doing now or, in fact, any time.
      I really thought that it would be the case that - scratches and marks on the crystal? No problem! I can get them out! :)
      But perhaps I was naive (?)
      How long should I be scrubbing with the sandpaper? Is 400-grit not enough? Should I get more coarse sandpaper?