Hello from Arkansas - USA

Hello to all that are reading my short hello.

I have been around clocks all my life. My grandfather built and restored clock cases and father worked on and repaired clock movements. He just setup a grandmother clock in my office that my grandfather built and he restored the movement. 

I have more of an interest in watches than clocks. I have always liked to tinker with mechanical devices. 

I have purchase a few tools and a junk but running Seiko 5 with a 7s26 movement to jump in with after watching Mark’s GREAT videos. I hope that is not too ambitious. 

Time will tell. :)

Glad to be here.

Welcome Claytonc. The old saying if you don't try you don't learn springs to mind. Remember take your time don't rush take photos don't just rely on marks video this will give you a good working practice for future watches. If your not used to handling stuff with tweezers practice picking up small objects moving them about and from hand to hand. Don't buy cheap tools especially tweezers and drivers you'll be surprised the difference it makes. And remember there's always someone here if your stuck and need advice and post pictures we like pictures apart from all that that you probably already knew have fun and dont get too adicted :D

7 hours ago, Claytonc said:

I have purchase a few tools and a junk but running Seiko 5 with a 7s26 movement to jump in with after watching Mark’s GREAT videos. I hope that is not too ambitious.

Greetings and welcome, you'll find out if your ambition outweighs your perseverance, (I mean that in the most positive way!!!):thumbsu: It's the most rewarding and sometimes frustratingly addictive 'hobby' ever invented. AND you've taken a step in the right direction by landing here, help/advice is always available.

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Welcome to the forum. I'm retired after many years restoring clocks. Any chance of a photo of the clock. You will find a wealth of info on here, many only too willing to help out.

Thanks for the Welcome. Here is a photo. This clock may not be the most beautiful in the world, but I remember sleeping overnight at Grandpa's and this thing ticking and rocking, gonging and chiming every 15 minutes. I was a very cranky child in the mornings with no sleep. I hated this clock then. Now I would never part with it. :biggrin:

20160718_Claytonc_003.jpg

claytonc;  welcome to the forum.  great to have  clocks in your blood,  great post above about quality tweesers.  great U.S.A.  21 jewel elgin pocket watch watch mvt.'s  have the smallest jewel  screws i have ever seen ! GOOD  tweeser work required.! well,  i hope the " the south will rise again" AND drag the north up with it, !   vinn 

Its a handsome beast is that. If im not midtaken its also behind the person in your profile pic. You? Or your gramps.

Yes it's me. Sometimes I smile more and sometimes less. Lol 8dbebc04f8b1218a654d4609283c4a17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome from me Clayton.  Most of my hair is below brow level as well but not by design :cool:

I am sure you will fit in here and try a search on the forums if you run into bother and if that does not work then I am sure you will get help when you post your problem.  my top tip is to take a photo before and after you remove each bit of a watch - it goes back together so much easier when you have a photo to refer to.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1