Screwdriver Profile

As someone new to repairing watches, a few years back, I bought a set of used screwdrivers from Dave over at Dave's Watch Parts and Tools.  The question I have is how do you all keep straight what size is what?  I'm embarrassed to say this, but I keep my set of screwdrivers in a small cigar box with all of my other "stuff" and I have to then fish for the right size.  Most of the time I just pull whatever out that I think will work.  Thankfully, I am only working on Timex movements right now, and  nothing too fancy.  What is a better solution to keeping my screwdrivers in this box?  I see some of the fairly expensive sets with these special holders, but that is a little above my pay grade at this stage of the game.

Thanks!

John

@kd8tzc what I would do is get one of the ribbed rubber mats for tools and once sized for the length of your screwdrivers with the top button hanging over glue it into another cigar box then you can keep track of the sizes better. Mind you depending on your taste in cigars it might be cheaper just buying a rotating base or screwdriver box without the screwdrivers.

Tom

3 hours ago, kd8tzc said:

Thanks Tom... I'm not sure I am following what you are saying (other than buy some more cigars 🙂 ).  Ribbed rubber mats?  Top button (of the screwdriver)?  Glue what... the mat assume?

Sorry I might have assumed somewhat, ribbed tool mat https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ridged-bench-mats

what I refer to as the top button of the screwdriver is the rotating piece at the end of the screwdriver opposite from where the screw is.

I hope that is clearer?

Tom

6 hours ago, kd8tzc said:

As someone new to repairing watches, a few years back, I bought a set of used screwdrivers from Dave over at Dave's Watch Parts and Tools.  The question I have is how do you all keep straight what size is what?  I'm embarrassed to say this, but I keep my set of screwdrivers in a small cigar box with all of my other "stuff" and I have to then fish for the right size.  Most of the time I just pull whatever out that I think will work.  Thankfully, I am only working on Timex movements right now, and  nothing too fancy.  What is a better solution to keeping my screwdrivers in this box?  I see some of the fairly expensive sets with these special holders, but that is a little above my pay grade at this stage of the game.

Thanks!

John

I use glass dried flower holders to keep screwdrivers in size order, some were 20p the bigger ones 50p. You could wrap a few turns of different coloured electrical tape around the shafts of the drivers as a reference for the size. After a short while you will  start to remember which colour is which size.

16782175380951202257516256653914.jpg

16782175925294105212927511378341.jpg

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I use glass dried flower holders to keep screwdrivers in size order, some were 20p the bigger ones 50p. You could wrap a few turns of different coloured electrical tape around the shafts of the drivers as a reference for the size. After a short while you will  start to remember which colour is which size.

16782175380951202257516256653914.jpg

16782175925294105212927511378341.jpg

Where did you get the glass holders? They look perfect...

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Where did you get the glass holders? They look perfect...

Not sure if you have heard of these but here in the Uk we have car boots sales, very much like American yard/garage sales. People load up their cars with junk they have collected or inherited or bought from house clearances. Flock to a big field and rent a space for a day to sell it. Its great fun , every country should do it. The haggling and banter is hilarious somedays. The glass holders are an old idea i dont think you've been able to buy them new for years. The holder was placed in the bottom of a vase and grandma placed her artificial silk flowers into the holes to keep them arranged. Nobody wants them anymore so they sell for practically nothing at car boots.