Generic Rotary

It is surprising sometimes when you open up a watch that quite frankly you don't really rate highly and then you find inside a pristine little swiss 17 jewel movement that after being wound up actually works !  I am tempted not to touch it at all apart from a little clean and grease on the stem.  would anyone recommend oiling this or should I just leave it alone.

post-197-0-77502700-1400672520_thumb.jpg

That's beautiful little movement you have there Vich.

What I have found in the past is if you oil a movement that hasn't been serviced for years, the old died up oil can soften with the new oil. This results in swelling of the old oil deposit which then grips the pinions and stops the watch.

If it is running well and keeping good time I would just leave as is just now, especially if it is only to be worn occasionally. The proper thing to do would be to strip it and make sure everything is clean before oiling.

Cheers Geo,

I only ever mess with things that really speaking are bust already so I will go for the first option. 

I have another movement from my Tissot watch, the old one I replaced, that is broken and it is one of those ETA 955.412 I shall save the experimental strip down for that one. Half of it is electronic anyway so its less complicated for me (:-)). 

Do you use lighter fluid to clean with, hope that does not make you wince but largely before joining this forum I made things up as I went along and it seems to work ok.

I will put the watch back together and post the picture, its what my mother used to call a "cocktail watch" which in the olden times must have been a general term for what is now referred to as "bling" I think.

Cheers,

Vich

Thats a nice little watch,  "If it ain't broke don't fix it"  is a pretty good motto,  or conversely,  "Fix it till it is broke".  With a watch that small taking it apart and putting it back together is pretty good going,  especially if it still works afterwards.   :thumbsu:   What amazes me even more is how they manage to make such very small parts, i.e. screws, jewels, gear wheels, mind blowing.

Well its finished and in my stockpile so to round off here it is:-

post-197-0-77527600-1400766488_thumb.jpg

as always thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Vic

Edited by Vich