Just completed

TimFitz

This Hamilton 912 is project I recently completed in May. The movement just needed a good cleaning. The dial was a mess & the case had a lot of dents to remove on the back.I broke out the Dremel to remove the many small scratches . The crystal was badly scratched and plastic, installed a new glass nos crystal. 

20160711_120517_003.jpg

20160711_120554.jpg

20160711_120712.jpg

20160711_120542.jpg

• Like 7

I will look for the before photos.

To remove dents in a case isn't difficult, it just requires patience. Go to your Hardware store and by som nice Ash dowels. Cut them down to usable  lengths 4 to six inches . Round off the ends of the  dowels into smooth shapes sort of like a baseball bat. Smooth the end down until its very smooth so you don't do any damage to case.

Now using only your hands push the dowel down on a dent & twist  over and over again. soon you will notice it is starting to go away. As I said slowly and carefully Twist Push. Keep checking to see you are not doing damage."(NO HAMMER" just kneading.

You can experiment with different shapes and sizes. o see what works best for you. I have one with a pad on one end to keep from hurting my palm. Also make sure the case is on a hard smooth surface or you will engrave whats on that surface into your watch case. I have had great results doing it on four watches including a very small ladies Elgin Pocket watch.

Edited by TimFitz
  • Like 3

I could not single out any one brand as there are so many that have both good and bad points but currently im enjoying working with Seiko movements/watches. Ive repaired my fair share of American pocket watches but i simply dislike their methods of construction/design and cataloging of parts ( especially when trying to find parts :( ).

However with repairs and servicing aside i do like the look and finish to some US Pocket Watches, so its not all bad :)

I used to have 40-50 pocket watches in my collection, mostly Omega or JLC but now all i have left is a Cyma/Tavannes Pleaide, it did seem fair to not use them so i passed them onto collectors who could love them. Hopefully your Hamilton will provide you years of enjoyable service :D

• Like 1

Well I understand what you mean & am looking to branch out I just didn't  know what others were available.& parts for them. Perhaps you can steer me. In the right direction. I thought staying American would make things easier. What are your thoughts on "Trench" watches?

Also that Hamilton isn't my only watch. I have . I have six other pocket watches of different brands & styles and two wristwatches all restored. I also have two I'm working on now in differing stages of completion. I will post them a bit at a time.

With a handshake , Thanks

newhunter5.JPG

• Like 3

Staying American is perfectly fine, its my personal taste so to speak, there are watches that are enjoyable to work with and others which are downright horrible, but like food & music its all down to taste :) I love working on FHF,AS,ETA,Omega,Rolex ,Tissot, almost anything Swiss, but put a Felsa movement in front of me and i just feel like reaching for a hammer and smashing the thing to oblivion ha ha. ( me & Felsa have relationship issues )

Unless you have some good military watch books to reference and learn from i would tread carefully with " trench watches ", there are so many fakes and misleading auctions & sales for this type of watch. I see so many listed on flea bay as "trench watches " or "Officers Watch " but are in fact ladies watches. 

With the above aside trench or military watches can be a very interesting and rewarding avenue to pursue with a lot of history and fun to be hard restoring them. Ive done quite a few over the years and they have always been a great joy and a very rewarding area of horology.

That Elgin is very very nice :thumbsu: those hands are pure class. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like Elgins I have a couple from the 70's with AS movements and one true American small size 0 class 320 7 jewel from the serial number produced in 1912 recased at somepoint in its life but runs like a trooper and loses about 30 seconds a day now thats not bad for something 104 years old.

57625e27a65dd_IMG_04441.thumb.JPG.6a1f783585ded8badf28c8f773c607a6.JPG

• Like 2