Omega Speedmaster Professional

I recently completed work on the timepiece that actually got me interested in watchmaking.  I purchased the movement (in pieces) for a vintage Omega Speedmaster a few months back and have been diligently working on putting it back together.  It was a pricey endeavor but what I've learned from the experience is invaluable and having the watch ticking away in hand at the end of the project was reward enough.

I picked up the movement in February and knew it was missing some parts.  I counted the minute recording wheel and hour recording wheel as bits that were missing but also couldn't locate the minute recording pawl and pawl bridge.  It turns out they were inside of the semi assembled movement but unfortunately I didn't realize that until I had already ordered replacements- oops!

Included with the movement was the front case, hour, minute, and sweep second hands, and some spare parts the previous owner had acquired.  He warned me that the watch hadn't worked properly before it was disassembled but I had confidence that I could sort it out.  

First thing I set to do was assemble as much of the movement as possible to determine what else was missing and what may be broken.IMG_0120.JPG

It became apparent quickly that there were many screws gone!  There weren't many parts missing other than those I've already noted but I did manage to lose the click spring when it shot away from my tweezers.  I've since become more adept at dealing with wire springs and don't attack any of them without two hands.

When breaking down the movement for cleaning I discovered that the chronograph blocking lever screw had been broken off in the plate.IMG_0134.JPGIMG_0232.JPG

Extracting the remains of the screw from the plate was actually easier than procuring a replacement screw.  I placed the plate in a solution of alum and warm water over night and the screw was eaten away.  The steel posts and eccentrics in the plate I protected from the alum with silicon caulk which I later removed with a bit of pegwood.

After cleaning, I began reassembling the watch but was stopped short when I discovered the mainspring barrel gear teeth were damaged.  I replacement was ordered straight away.IMG_0456.JPG

Now I was ready to assemble the movement.  I made sure to inspect all jewels and pivots before putting the gear train together.IMG_0459.JPG

And I was rewarded with an exceptionally well beating movement.IMG_0460.JPG

This was a relief since I've spent more than enough time on my previous projects straightening hairsprings, truing balances, and correcting beat errors.

Next the chronograph layer came together.  This takes quite a while since there are so many bits to lubricate and test the motion of before moving on to the next bit.  Also, with so many screws missing I had to stop several times to order replacements.  Below is the movement prior to final adjustment.  A screw is missing at the top and the chronograph bridge screw isn't correct but it gets the job done.

IMG_0478.JPG

I discovered that the previous owner had already procured the missing hour recording wheel so that saved me a bit trouble.IMG_0479.JPG

And the dial side came together quickly.  The hour recording wheel is turned directly by the barrel and the blocking lever wasn't set properly before I put the dial on so the hour recorder creeped which required me to go back and remove the dial and re-adjust the blocking lever.  I'll remember the importance of that adjustment the next time I do a chronograph repair!IMG_0481.JPG

I needed to purchase a replacement dial and a full set of hands as well.  I could have reused the hour and minute hands that came with the movement but since they were scuffed and faded and wouldn't have matched the other four hands I sold them to pay for a whole new set.  It's not something I regret though because with the new dial and hands the watch looks about good as new.IMG_0757.JPG

The case I had was missing the caseback and pushers but I found a gentleman who was selling the case (with pushers) and caseback together so I purchased the lot.  I also procured a replacement dust cover since that turned out to be missing as well.  No point in doing a job unless it's done right I suppose.IMG_0763.JPG

And there you go!  I'm quite happy with the result here.  It was expensive but I now have a complete and fully functioning Speedmaster.  The chronograph worked without a hitch and the watch has kept impeccable time too.  It took quite a long time to get this one together but the patience has really paid off.

IMG_0769.JPG  

I really love working on chronograph movements and am hoping to do a Venus or Valjoux soon but my next project is a bit more eclectic- a Cinderella watch by US Time from the 1960's!  This will be my first pin pallet service.  (excitement!)

• Like 8

A very nice resurrection of a great watch.

There is something particularly rewarding about starting with a box of bits, not even sure that you have everything, and ending up with a fully functional and complete watch. When it's as desirable and collectable as this it's just the cherry on the cake. 

• Like 2

Lovely job it may have been expensive on parts but look at the end product. Something that was dead and buried has now been resurrected and given a new lease of Life very well done indeed.

• Like 1

Very well done Ry.  The 321 is one of my all time favourites, it's good to know another oldie has been resurrected and out to good use. It may have cost you a fair bit, but these are indeed very expensive classic watches. :Bravo:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinn3 said:

well done !  i need a bezel ring for one of those,  new or used.  any ideas?  vinn

The new ones run about 350 USD and from what I've seen the used ones are quite a bit more.  Collectors usually snap them up pretty quickly.  In my case since the dial and hands were replacements it didn't really make much sense to pay more for a used bezel ring.

Omega collectors can be pretty picky so if your watch is intended as a collector's piece as opposed to a wearable piece then you may want to take the time to find a good used bezel.

Thanks for all the kind words.  There certainly is something special about taking a collection of parts and returning them to their former glory (and function).  This has been by far my most rewarding job yet.  :)

Ry;  thanks for the current price data.  i bought that speedmaster a few year back without a band or bezel.  at that time  a watchmaker said. a new bezel was 100 USD.  and  would not sell a used one. "Time goes on"    vinn

• 2 weeks later...