Timing Adjustment Problem

If the lift angle is not set correctly on the timegrapher the only difference is a very minor inaccuracy in calculating amplitude. Nothing else is affected.

No I couldn't really agree with your statement. The lift angle setting not only affects the reading of amplitude but it also effects the reading of beat error. Though I appreciate that most modern movements lift angle is between 48 and 54. So a fairly accurate measurement can be taken at 52° but it's far more desirable to have the specific information as to the correct lift angle setting when regulating a movement

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just now, digginstony said:

No I couldn't really agree with your statement. The lift angle setting not only affects the reading of amplitude but it also effects the reading of beat error.

No, lift angle set on the timegrapher does not affect beat error reading at all. One can test that easily by varying the angle and observing. See pictures for the two extreme values of range available on my machine. Only amplitude reading is marginally affected.

P7143083.JPG

P7143084.JPG

• Like 1

No, lift angle set on the timegrapher does not affect beat error reading at all. One can test that easily by varying the angle and observing. See pictures for the two extreme values of range available on my machine. Only amplitude reading is marginally affected.

P7143083.JPG

P7143084.JPG

Looking at your readings I would have to agree with you . There's noticeably no difference.

• Like 1

I don't even turn it off mate. Mrs jdm does, however [emoji3]

Because I believed i could get a false reading of beat error if the lift angle wasn't set right I spent many hours regulating this Waltham pocket watch. I've just put it on the timegrapher. See pics. It's not perfect but you've just made my life a lot easier in the future. Many thanks482ea9fcab0efe841d8b7474045bfc50.jpgd4d734eff6fcfed9695424ce353cfe02.jpg

On 12/07/2016 at 10:21 PM, Scouseget said:

Also, I did get it to work for a while quite accurately dial up, but the moment I moved it away from the DU position, it would noticeably slow down or stop; I verified that the hairspring was not catching on anything when this happened. Not sure what that means exactly but I did check the balance jewel holes and noticed the slop that I mentioned above, hence the reason I bought a third Waltham to allow me to change out the jewels. 

Assuming the staff is not broken and that the hairspring don't touch anything, check that you don't have a cracked jewel. Don't see exactly what you mean by a "fair amount of slop" but balance jewels are convex type jewels (with olive hole), see here

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/jewels-seitz

But, this not explains why your regulator has no effect.

If you swap the hairspring there is a fair amount of chance that it's not matching the balance and becomes impossible to regulate. In this case you need to adjust the balance weight.

• 2 weeks later...

hi matey

I think you need to get yourself a timeographer for a start I believe your watch is an 1899 model the same as my too.

WP_20160617_06_09_20_Pro.jpg

this was the reading before service

and this is after service with a new mainspring

I recently went on a two week cruise and had the watch on all the time, and it kept absolutely perfect time I think this is the sort of readings you need to be looking for but you do need a timeographer, i have just stripped another last night and this is what it looked like before.

i will let you know how i get on, just my two pennies worth I hope this helps.

Kaz

WP_20160612_22_09_05_Pro.jpg

Edited by BUSAKAZ
wrong pics

15 minutes ago, BUSAKAZ said:

hi matey

I think you need to get yourself a timeographer for a start I believe your watch is an 1899 model the same as my too.

WP_20160617_06_09_20_Pro.jpg

this was the reading before service

and this is after service with a new mainspring

I recently went on a two week cruise and had the watch on all the time, and it kept absolutely perfect time I think this is the sort of readings you need to be looking for but you do need a timeographer, i have just stripped another last night and this is what it looked like before.

i will let you know how i get on, just my two pennies worth I hope this helps.

Kaz

WP_20160612_22_09_05_Pro.jpg

sorry the two pics didn't turn out but hopefully here they are.

WP_20160613_16_50_06_Pro.jpgWP_20160613_16_52_16_Pro.jpgWP_20160728_15_45_28_Pro.jpg